-
ATI Radeon
Has anyone been able to get a Radeon card to work in Knoppix? I can only get mine to work in VESA mode, which is slow and doesn't seem to allow a vertical refresh other than 60Hz!
Any help would be appreciated... for what it's worth, I'm using an All in Wonder 8500DV Radeon.
-
radeon 8500
I also have a Radeon 8500 card which doesn't work other than in VESA mode - so I'd love to hear what the answer/fix is for this issue.
-
Radeon 7000 (VE)
This worked for my Radeon VE 7000:
Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
#Option "sw_cursor"
#Option "hw_cursor"
#Option "NoAccel"
#Option "ShowCache"
#Option "ShadowFB"
#Option "UseFBDev"
#Option "Rotate"
Identifier "Card0"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
Driver "ati"
VendorName "ati"
BoardName "radeon"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1208x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection
-
Could you elaborate? I admit I know next to nothing about Linux (which is why I'm trying out Knoppix in the first place).
I assume I have to edit some file?? Can I do this with the bootable CD version, or do I have to create my own or load it on a harddrive to do this?
Thanks for your reply!
-
ATI Radeon
Perhaps the file to be edited is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?
-
Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Sorry guys do this:
Click K(start menu)=>editors=>kedit
click file open=>browse=>up arrow until you see /, bin,home,root, etct,etc,etc)
click /etc, then click X11, then click the file XF86Config-4
Click ok, the file should open in kedit.
scroll until you see this section:
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
Driver "vesa"
VendorName "all"
BoardName "all"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
I changed mine to look like this(keeping in mind I have a radeon 7000VE-it should work though, the video drivers ARE all modular)below:
=======SNIP=========
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
Driver "ati"
VendorName "ati"
BoardName "radeon"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
=======SNIP=========
Then find the "DefaultColorDepth" line like in the section below and enter what color you'd like to use:
16=default
24=mine (for your cards 24 or 32 is best)
after that go to that section and change the screen resolution you'd like to use, mine says "1600x1200" "1200x1024" "1024x768"
so, if you choose 24 for the DefaultColorDepth, then scroll down and find the Section that says:
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
and change your resolutions, max three, use same format as the other sections(keep quotations around your resoltuoin size and a space between each).
Have fun!
============SNIP=========
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1208x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection
============SNIP=========
-
CRAP!-Just realized you guys can't use kedit yet can ya?
Well same instructions as above only when you get to shell do:
user@thor:~# jpico
then hit enter on your keyboard to get a command l;ine based editor. It is quite simple to use, then commands are all on the top of the editor, so all ya gotta do is look there when you want to do soemthing to find out how to do it.
Looks like this:
==================SNIP====================
Help Screen turn off with ^G more help with ^[. (ESC .)
CURSOR GO TO BLOCK DELETE MISC EXIT
^B left ^F right ^[Y top of file ^^ mark ^D char ^J format ^X save
^P up ^N down ^[V end of file ^K cut ^K line ^T spell ^C abort
^Y prev. screen ^A beg. of line ^U paste ^[K >line ^[T file ^Z shell
^V next screen ^E end of line ^[U select ^[H word< ^L refresh FILE
^@ prev. word ^[L line No. ^O save ^[D >word ^[^[ options ^O save
^_ next word ^W find text ^[/ filter ^[- undo ^[= redo ^R insert
IW /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 Row 1 Col 1 4:12 Ctrl-G for help
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
# Serial Mouse not detected
# USB Mouse not detected
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
EndSection
Section "Files"
** Joe's Own Editor v2.8 ** Copyright (C) 1995 Joseph H. Allen **
==================SNIP====================
-
my 128 meg 8500 works great, what version of knoppix are you guys using?
-
Thanks for your replies...
The version I have is dated 8-11-2002, which I'm guessing isn't the latest.
Maybe I need to try that?
Also, I can edit the config file, but, being on a CDROM, I can't exactly save the changes. Is there a way to make the changes before I burn the CD?
Similar Threads
-
By pamindic in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
-
By toxik in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:02 PM
-
By chupacabra in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
-
By www.rzr.online.fr in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-20-2003, 12:41 AM
-
By archtron in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1000.00

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99