sounds like an vi feature. Most likely, vi remove the old file(thus the link) and create a real file.
I would suggest to use another editor and see if the same occurs. The cat >> operation suggest that the fs/kernel should be ok.
Knoppix follows symlinks very oddly!
touch 1
echo "1" >> 1
ln -s 1 2
echo "2> >> 2
cat 1
1
2
ls -la:
1
2 -> 1
That works fine, but `vi 2` then make a change, then save (:w!) and your symlink is no longer there:
ls -la:
1
2
The same set of operations done in Slackware keeps the symlink from 1 to 2. In knoppix, there are now 2 different files.
So, what do I have to do to make Knoppix 'listen' to the symlinks. I don’t' know if this is a debian, or a Knoppix thing. I assume it's a knoppix 'feature' though.
Any help is appreciated.
- Ambrose
sounds like an vi feature. Most likely, vi remove the old file(thus the link) and create a real file.
I would suggest to use another editor and see if the same occurs. The cat >> operation suggest that the fs/kernel should be ok.
I actually discovered this while using a symlink from /mnt/hda1/etc/passwd -> /etc/passwd
When I added a user, the symlink was gone.
Of couse all other related symlink'd files were changed as well (shadow, group, etc)
Which leads me to believe it is a Knoppix thing. Also, this does not happen in Slackware.
- Ambrose
by add user, you mean using the command 'adduser' ? If that is the case, there must be something wrong with the kernel/fs. Could be the 2.4.21 thingy. I choose to skip this particular version as it seems to do more harm than good, based on what I read on the kernel.org mailing list.
uname -a
Linux esper.fqdn 2.4.20-xfs #1 SMP Mit Mär 26 15:37:36 CET 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
--I have found that some different distros can use *very* different versions of the same commands, like ' ln ', ' ls ', ' mkisofs ' and the like. Even ' ps ' can be different in some cases. Also could be different symlink handling depending on what filesystem you're using (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, et al.)
Originally Posted by garyng
This happens where there is no hard drive as well.

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99
Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00
HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99