That's interesting two different threads with problems in the same file it may be something to look out for in the future, the other thread here.Originally Posted by aay
Stephen and others who have been following this thread or who has been having this problem after adding the Knoppix package repository to your sources.list file I found out the real reason why things get defaulted back to german.
The fix is much better / more elegant than my previous fix.
Here's what need to do:
You need to open and edit the following file:
/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
Look for the following section:
Simply change the "de" at the end to "us".Code:### localization # Allow language specification via commandline. The default language # will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)" [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="de"
This should fix the problem.
That's interesting two different threads with problems in the same file it may be something to look out for in the future, the other thread here.Originally Posted by aay
Stephen,
Is /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig run at boot on your system or on hd installs in general. This seems to be responsible for Knoppix hardware detection/configuration, but untill I added the above mentioned sources to my sources.list file and did an update, I wasn't aware if it running after doing a hdinstall. The fact that it is in /etc/init.d/ means that it should be run during boot, but I'm wondering if maybe it isn't changed or disabled somehow after a hdinstall.
Also I'm suspecting that my /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is a bit different than others who have done a hdinstall, but who have not added the above mentioned repositories to their sources.list.
Actually I had already looked at the link you posted and it got me started reading this file. Once I did that it was obvious that this is where my problem was.

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$482.02
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$372.48
1TB SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (Recertified) - A196-SDSSDE61-1T00
$150.99
2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C
$302.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1775.56
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cac
$25.17
NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99
SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB, SDSSDH3 2.5" SSD Drive SATA III 6GB/S (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56