Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: /dev/dvd not found

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    /dev/dvd not found

    I've just installed Knoppix to a new desktop and I get a message that /dev/dvd is not found when I try and use mplayer to watch DVDs but I can open and view individual .vob files.

    Since I am able to use mplayer to look at invidual .vob files by navigating into /dev/cdrom, I believe that I should be able to get this to work. I did a ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it was pointing with the idea of creating a symlink from /dev/dvd to that same location.

    When I ran ls -l /dev/cdrom, I got the following reply.

    /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

    I then tried this:

    ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd, but I get the same error message that /dev/dvd is not found.

    I also tried ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/dvd, but again I get the same error.

    I then used ls -l /dev/dvd and I got this: /dev/dvd -> /KNOPPIX/dev/dvd

    It looks like /dev/dvd is pointing to the location that would be appropriate when running Knoppix from the CD, but now that it is on the hard drive things need to be updated. This should be simple enough, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Any ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    sudo rm /dev/dvd

    ln -s /dev/dvd /dev/scd0 (or /dev/scd1 if your dvd drive is a second cdrom).

    HTH

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    This is strange.

    If I run a "cdrecord -scanbus", I get the following info back:

    0,0,0 0) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1402' '1010' Removable CD-ROM

    The dvd should be located at scd0. But when I do a ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd, I get the same error as before.

    Now if I rm -f /dev/dvd and do ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd, then I no longer get the message that /dev/dvd is not found but "Can't open VMG info!"

    I thought that this might be due to permissions so I made sure that premissions for /dev/dvd and /dev/hdc were set right. Still got the same error message.

    Then I decided to rm -f /dev/dvd and do ln -s /cdrom /dev/dvd. This actually works, but only if I have /cdrom mounted. I'm used to dvds automounting. This isn't too bad, but I'm at a loss to explain why the other didn't work. I'll still take suggestions if you have any.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Since you're using scsi emulation you can no longer refer to drives as /dev/hda (well not in this case anyway) but rather /dev/scd0.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Since you're using scsi emulation you can no longer refer to drives as /dev/hda (well not in this case anyway) but rather /dev/scd0.
    Right, but I made a link to /dev/scd0 and that doens't work either. I've got an idea of what may be wrong, but I can't check it out till later. I'll post back info when I've got more.

Similar Threads

  1. IEEE 1394 found and then not found ...
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
  2. Orinoco Gold Classic - found once - now not found.
    By GFBurke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
  3. No moc found in /bin
    By tommystyle in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:26 PM
  4. hda not being found
    By saxmanbob in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$949.00



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$59.99



Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ picture

Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ

$49.95



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00