-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
j.drake: RED ALERT, CAUTION, BEWARE...
As to NTFS, I think that garyng's post spoke of updating the Linux NTFS drivers from the 1.x version that KNOPPIX uses to the newer 2.x driver. I imagine that means on a full hdinstall or a remaster, not the poor man's install. Right?
No. not hdinstall or remaster. What I did was the following :
1. create a loopback file system on a local drive
2. store the newly compiled modules here(/lib/modules/*)
3. copy the ntfs.o driver to the initrd
4. make change to linuxrc to load the ntfs driver, loopback driver
5. before linuxrc get into the actual init process, mount --bind my own module tree
In this way, I have been using my customized kernel for serveral version of KNOPPIX(the big clooped image) without remastering. In fact, I keep multiple copy of it so I can switch between them easily as there may be surprise from version to version(something work, something broken etc.)
Of course if there is only NTFS partition, the situation would be a bit complicated as it is not safe to create new files under linux on NTFS, an intermediate storage is needed. A USB CF reader(or floppy if the size is not too large) can serve this purpose as I can just copy the things that I made under linux to the CF(which is FAT) and copy them over to the NTFS partition under XP. But this needs to be done only once in a while, just the vmlinuz(should I choose to compile a new one) or may be the initrd(if I want to change the booting stuff).
Similar Threads
-
By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
-
By probono in forum The Lounge
Replies: 11
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:34 PM
-
By prehis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM
-
By musclemania2004 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-08-2004, 04:26 AM
-
By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00