Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: After I'll install KNOPPIX on my hd, can I do this:..

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10

    After I'll install KNOPPIX on my hd, can I do this:..

    Can I edit /etc/apt/apt.conf to unstable, add some unstable mirrors to /etc/apt/sources.list, do:
    apt-get update
    apt-get -u dist-upgrade
    and it will work without prob?

    thanks.


    BTW
    I use knoppix for a week, and I love it!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You already have sources for unstable in the sources.list and no I would not recommend a dist-upgrade unless you are prepared to manually resolve the dependencies yourself with apt-get ie. tracking down all the required libraries and such that will be needed when you do it the result of a dist-upgrade on knoppix is usually a bunch of packages removed generally starting with KDE. That being said if you fell up to it I would recommend putting a -s in the dist-upgrade line to simulate the process and see what the result could be.

    To track down the dependency problems you would usually try to install individually the packages you see it is going to remove from the unstable branch with a command like apt-get install package/unstable if you get an error say it cannot be installed but it needs program version 1.23.3 and 1.22.2 is going to be installed the use apt-cache policy program to see where you need to install the program from.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    33
    Thank you yet again, Stephen, you just solved a problem I was having too.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10

    thank you!

    If I'll install knopix I'll tell how it was, cause now I don't know if I want debian or gentoo.


    IP.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    cause now I don't know if I want debian or gentoo
    Why not install both?

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black picture

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black

$429.94



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4-3600MHZ picture

Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4-3600MHZ

$350.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95