I finally figured out how to get my Pinnacle PCTV (aka Mirovideo PCTV) BT848 card work in knoppix, and it was the detection routine that screwed it up.
I found that this card will lock up when launching scantv without first launching xawtv. (On other linuxes as well!) Apparently the card is not in an initialized state and scantv sends it a command to change the frequency which causes the computer to hard lockup. So to get the card to work I have to:
modprobe bttv card=39 tuner=6
xawtv (change to ntsc + us-bcast) and exit
then
scantv
And it will work. Even though scantv asks for the region and frequency mode it doesn't seem to work. Running xawtv fixes it. If I do the knoppix detection routine, it will start to scan channels and hard lock the system.
Well I hope this helps others who may have had problems with their tv card.

10 Pounds Vintage Ceramic CPU Processor/ic chips Gold Recovery Computers Scrap
$1999.99
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000
$39.99
Abacus Software Vintage Commodore 64 Book Lot 3: Printer, Sci & Eng, ML
$100.00
Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage
$249.00
Vintage Retro Gaming | EU Plug W/US Adapter | Commodore 1084 CRT Color Monitor
$249.99
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc
$62.99
Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99