Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 5205-703 laptop display

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    4
    So you can't access your BIOS either?
    Not from the POST screen and not from anything other than the app that they provide that runs under winblows only

    It's called "Power Management" tool on mine, but whatever.
    Yeah, why doesn't this surprise me in the least?

    So yours doesn't go to half-brightness any more when booting something other than windows?
    Nope, it works like a dream now in GNU/Linux or Windows, I remember this driving me crazy when I first started using it. Unfortunately, I'm at home now and won't be able to muck around with my laptop until I'm back at work tomorrow.

    I'll get back to you on this tomorrow. I'll put it back into the old mode and follow the breadcrumbs in the opposite direction and document the process.

    FYI I've got the Style Bay filled with the extra battery as well.

    --stack

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    4
    Ah, guess I'll have to find a service center near me, north of Boston?
    Haha, and you know what they will say to you when you tell them what you're trying to accomplish? "I'm sorry, sir, but Toshiba Corp doesn't support Linux. As far as we're concerned, your issues with our laptop do not constitute a problem. Have a nice day and thank you for choosing Toshiba."

    --stack

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    4
    Hmm, it is indeed the 'Monitor Brightness' slider that does it for me, under the 'Power Save Mode' tab. When I do this, the brightness stays low after it switches, and does not brighten back up when I get a Windows desktop from a cold boot.

    --stack

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27

    Toshiba support for linux

    Here is a link to a toshiba webpage that supports linux unofficilay ofcourse
    http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/main/
    The only problem for u is to find the european modem that coressponts to your model ( eg. 5200-701 ) see the hardware specs for details the only thing changing is the model number . Anyway you will find someting I am sure.

    ps. the inverter in my case would change brithness every 1-5 minutes even after I got to the desktop

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by stacksmasher
    Hmm, it is indeed the 'Monitor Brightness' slider that does it for me, under the 'Power Save Mode' tab. When I do this, the brightness stays low after it switches, and does not brighten back up when I get a Windows desktop from a cold boot.

    --stack
    So it sounds like it's writing to the BIOS then, because this behaviour remains the same when you boot to Kroppix where there are none of those tools. And when in windows, you move the slider for the monitor brightness up to the max, which on mine says is "8", then click "OK, or "Apply" then "OK", then the monitor remains at full brightness throughout the boot process, whether it's windows or Kroppix?

    If so, that's what I would have expected to happen when it's working "normally". Unfortunately mine starts at full brightness, then goes to "half" brightness after so many seconds during boot, then goes back to full brightness after getting to the desktop. With booting Kroppix, it never goes back to full brightness. I've even tried changing all the "battery" options to full power at all times with the same results.

    And also unfortunately, as someone else pointed out, it's going to be very difficult to convince a repair center that it is a problem.


    Thanks,
    Marcel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Toshiba Satellite 5205: no Firewire HD
    By edburns in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:27 PM
  2. framebuffer-problem after hdd-install on Toshiba Laptop
    By mkjtravel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:16 AM
  3. Toshiba Satellite 1805-S253 boot problem
    By denverc in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 06:00 PM
  4. 3.4 not booting on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 4010cds)
    By softwaretester in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:03 AM
  5. Boot from USB toshiba 5205?
    By montanaembassy in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 07:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



WHOOP  TAB-8US2 8

WHOOP TAB-8US2 8" Quad Core, 4G, 32 GB SSD, 3 GB RAM, Tablet PC W/Cover Bundle

$59.95



Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop picture

Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop

$115.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor -- Fully functional picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor -- Fully functional

$285.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 4.70GHz 8 Core 100-000001084 16 Thread AM5 ~  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 4.70GHz 8 Core 100-000001084 16 Thread AM5 ~

$379.95



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



HP 14-DQ2xxx~ i3 Gen 11~ 8 Ram~ 256 NVMe~ Win 11 Pro~ A Condition picture

HP 14-DQ2xxx~ i3 Gen 11~ 8 Ram~ 256 NVMe~ Win 11 Pro~ A Condition

$129.95



Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$229.99