Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Security. First Steps.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93

    Security. First Steps.

    I think I may have been hacked (or had an attempt at hacking) last night.

    While on X-Chat I had a gentleman from Hungary keep butting in asking if he could use my shell account. I disconnected immediately.

    What steps should one do after one has done the hard disk install?

    How do you install guarddog or bastille linux?

    What about tripwire and nessus?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Security. First Steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by FelixDzerzhinsky
    I think I may have been hacked (or had an attempt at hacking) last night.

    While on X-Chat I had a gentleman from Hungary keep butting in asking if he could use my shell account. I disconnected immediately.

    What steps should one do after one has done the hard disk install?

    How do you install guarddog or bastille linux?

    What about tripwire and nessus?
    Just use apt-get and you can install either for guarddog you have to add a couple of lines to your /etc/bootmisc.sh to start it at boot the instructions are in the documentation on the website. The website of bastille-linux and another you may want to consider firestarter.

    [edit]
    Another program to install chkrootkit then run it as root in a console it checks for file changes on your system.
    [/edit]

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    While on X-Chat I had a gentleman from Hungary keep butting in asking if he could use my shell account. I disconnected immediately.
    Mind you, he was only asking........ My guess is that anyone serious wouldn't bother asking

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93

    Probably Right

    I had the feeling it was more of a prank than a cracker. As you say a cracker would just use it anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Configuring Internet via LAN - first steps
    By karo in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 04:02 AM
  2. Combing Steps
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
  3. NTFS Install Steps?
    By abstar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 01:48 AM
  4. Can I get steps to configure Wine?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 08:31 AM
  5. First steps away from the Bugger
    By Spinned Noob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 04:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



SK hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM Module picture

SK hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM Module

$69.99



64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$260.00



64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$280.00