I don't need a lot of the apps. Leave the shells, the editors (add nano so I can teach pico, since nano is GNU license), the compilers, the GUIs (KDE and GNOME), leave the internet basics (browsers, emails, ftp, telnet), and so forth. Even leave the games (students do stupid things when there's nothing entertaining to play with).
I don't need the more sophisticated games or internet things like file sharing or IRC. I need a simple Educational CD that I can distribute to students, have them work on programs or scripts, experience the GUI, learn to do a few diagnostics and operate the machine.
I also think the best route for this sort of thing is to simply (he says with a wry grin) make a program to *generate* a CD image that can be burned. Make it possible to add all the necessary command line tools and then provide a menu, not unlike the KDE menu, to allow the user to select items for inclusion and to groups items on the menu to be generated.
Is tomorrow to soon?![]()
Thanks for a great product as is - I still use it in the classroom.

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 40 Cores Unlim CAL Retail License Authentic
$299.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00