Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Finding .deb's

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3

    Finding .deb's

    Is there a search site for debs like rpmfind ?
    T Case

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I doubt that this is like rpmfind (because .debs actually work) :P
    But you can always go to http://www.debian.org

    Also if you have installed Knoppix to your hdd then there is kpackage which will show you what you have installed, what's new and what can be upgraded. Better yet do this:

    apt-get install synaptic
    synaptic

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3
    I was wondering if there were other sources for deb's than those already searched by Synaptic (yes, I already got that) I recognise the advantages of deb over rpm, that's the main reason I moved from Suse to Debian (Knoppix).
    Incidentaly, kpackage doesn't work on my installation, I get the following errors :

    <cdrom/Graphics/Cinelerra/cinelerra-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    Any Ideas what that is

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcase
    <cdrom/Graphics/Cinelerra/cinelerra-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    Any Ideas what that is
    I think it is rpm complaining that it can't find the database where it tracks it's installed packages. I had something simular and could fix it with 'rpm --initdb' in a rootshell.

    HTH

    - - Edwin

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    AFAIK, KPackage is used to manage .debs in Knoppix, not .rpms. Don't know how to get rpms to work in Knoppix though...

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Viro
    AFAIK, KPackage is used to manage .debs in Knoppix, not .rpms. Don't know how to get rpms to work in Knoppix though...
    The KPackage handbook states: "KPackage is a GUI interface to the RPM, Debian, Slackware and BSD Package managers".

    It is not perfect, but I did manage to install a *.rpm with it. Another *.rpm install failed but I used 'alien' for that with success. Ok, I do not know anymore in which program I got the error. But using 'rpm --initdb' somewhere fixed things.

    YMMV

    Regards

    - - Edwin

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcase
    Incidentaly, kpackage doesn't work on my installation, I get the following errors :

    <cdrom/Graphics/Cinelerra/cinelerra-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    Any Ideas what that is
    Hmmmm- how is it that you're getting an rpm error mewonders? Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

    Did you install rpm on your machine? There certainly is no such file /var/lib/rpm nor should there be.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3
    I didn't install RPM, it was already there, RPM version 4.0.4, installed with Knoppix, actualy, I'm not that concerned with that, what is more of a concern is that Synaptic gives the error
    "cannot read sources.list file" when I click on the repositories button I checked and the file is there in /etc/apt it's readable and has contents, any ideas ?
    TC

Similar Threads

  1. Finding make_floppy
    By mad_dad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 10:55 AM
  2. help with finding app
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 04:37 AM
  3. Finding programs
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM
  4. Anyone finding the knoppix/kde S-L-0-W?
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 11:56 PM
  5. Finding individual packages
    By softedges in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99