Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Error while initializing the sound driver:

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Error while initializing the sound driver:

    Suddenly I get:

    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (Permission denied)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    When logging on as anyone other than root (sound works fine as root).

    /etc/group reads:

    audio:29:john:knoppix

    /etc/group.org reads

    audio:29:knoppix:john

    all the dsp devices are root audio.

    Any ideas? And can anyone tell me why there are group and group.org ?

    Suddenly I can't pon as anyone other than root either. There doesn't seem to be any logic to this: all the entries suggest either user should be able to diallup, but the occurences do seem to have something to do with editing /etc/group.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Well, I got the sound up and running by doing

    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi

    as root, natch

    (fortunately I'd kept the instructions for installing alsa from source, no, I didn't re-install, just ran the code above) but still trying to work out why I can no longer pon as anyone other than root.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37

    Re: Error while initializing the sound driver:

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Suddenly I get:

    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (Permission denied)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    When logging on as anyone other than root (sound works fine as root).

    /etc/group reads:

    audio:29:john:knoppix

    /etc/group.org reads

    audio:29:knoppix:john

    all the dsp devices are root audio.

    Any ideas? And can anyone tell me why there are group and group.org ?

    Suddenly I can't pon as anyone other than root either. There doesn't seem to be any logic to this: all the entries suggest either user should be able to diallup, but the occurences do seem to have something to do with editing /etc/group.
    For the /etc/group file doesn't it need to be in the format of:

    audio:29:john,knoppix

    ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --This is how it looks on my system:

    ls -l /usr/bin/pon
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 956 Nov 24 2002 /usr/bin/pon

    --You might try ' chown USER.root ' on pon. If that still doesn't work you could try ' chmod +s /usr/bin/pon ' to setuid root on it. But if you do that I would ' chmod o-rwx ' on it, too, so other users can't get at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Well, I got the sound up and running by doing

    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi

    as root, natch

    (fortunately I'd kept the instructions for installing alsa from source, no, I didn't re-install, just ran the code above) but still trying to work out why I can no longer pon as anyone other than root.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Thanks. I tried both and rebooted and now have both sound as user john and pon and poff I'm not sure which worked, yet, but WTH

    Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with sound driver=intel8x0
    By GilGallad in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 02:47 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:12 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 05:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 01:27 AM
  5. Driver for HP Pavillion N5430 Sound Card
    By knoppixianer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49