Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: newbie downloads

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    newbie downloads

    Hi i am just new and got my copy of knoppix can anyone tell me if there is any other software i can download for it i. e utilities etc and if so where

    thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You mean there isn't enough on there

    I think if you're running Knoppix from CD, that's about it. But do the HD install and you've basically got a Debian system. You can install any Debian package.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12
    Is there a good place to get instructions for loading knoppix onto my HD? I'm currently booting off of the CD. I can't seem to print or save anything this way. I have a glitch when saving to floppy. Also, I can't use my speakers or camera. I have knoppix 3.2.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23
    when booting CD, after it loads you open console and type "su" press enter then type "knx-hdinstall" and just follow the instructioons.
    Good luck

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneangel
    Is there a good place to get instructions for loading knoppix onto my HD? I'm currently booting off of the CD. I can't seem to print or save anything this way. I have a glitch when saving to floppy. Also, I can't use my speakers or camera. I have knoppix 3.2.
    Follow the instructions from the HdBased HowTo

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4

    installing to hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by stoneangel
    Is there a good place to get instructions for loading knoppix onto my HD? I'm currently booting off of the CD. I can't seem to print or save anything this way. I have a glitch when saving to floppy. Also, I can't use my speakers or camera. I have knoppix 3.2. :)
    stoneangel:

    the short answer is to open a terminal and type "sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall" -- even though it's an old article, here is a piece by Joe barr that still applies:

    http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure...10600226RVDBSW

    Even though it's not supported (i.e. Klaus Knopper cannot guarantee you anything ;)), the hard-drive install script that starts when you issue that command has treated me well. I have always installed onto a dedicated hard drive (that is, not dual booting), can't offer any advice on dual booting.

    One slightly tricky part of the install is partitioning, because the program used to do the partitioning (cfdisk) is not exactly intuitive. However, at least on my systems (installing onto a new, blank hard drive), it tends to offer sane defaults, so once cfdisk starts, I basically tap "w" (for 'write') and then "q" (for 'quit').

    [Note that the Knoppix install script is multi-part; hitting "q" in cfdisk does *not* quit the installation process, just ends the disk partitioning part of it, and continues to the rest. Don't panic because you're hitting "quit" before you're through.]

    If you're interested, though (see the man page ;)), you can use cfdisk to create a more elaborate partitioning scheme, for instance to put /home on its own partition etc, rather than slapping nearly everything onto a huge root partition.

    timothy

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 04:39 PM
  2. 50,000 successful klik downloads
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 06:32 PM
  3. Stalled downloads
    By Gary999 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
  4. Stalled downloads
    By swazi in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
  5. sourceforge.net top downloads
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Digital Movie Poster ( USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster ( USB-flash drive)

$100.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00