-
Problem reading existing partitions
Hello all,
I have a toshiba satellite 1805 dual boot with XP and Mandrake 9.1. My Mandrake /etc/fstab file looks like this:
/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda8 /usr ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda9 /var ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap ext3 noatime 1 2
Knoppix would hang at the 'writing /etc/fstab' part of the initialization unless I use the 'dma' cheatcode. It will not mount any of the partitions automatically. I changed the /etc/fstab to match the mandrake one with the auto option on all of the partitions and used the command 'mount -a' but it gave the error about wrong filesystem type. So then I attempted to mount each one individually using the respective commands similar to 'mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows' (after creating the directory /mnt/windows of course). It still gives me the same error. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Problem reading existing partitions
--Is this booting from CD or installed to HD? Anyway, you might want to put 'defaults,noatime' instead of just noatime. And the swap partition should be like this:
/dev/sdb2 none swap defaults,sw,pri=2 0 0
--Dunno if it will help, but it's all that I can come up with at the moment.

Originally Posted by
kgray1980
Hello all,
I have a toshiba satellite 1805 dual boot with XP and Mandrake 9.1. My Mandrake /etc/fstab file looks like this:
/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda8 /usr ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda9 /var ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap ext3 noatime 1 2
Knoppix would hang at the 'writing /etc/fstab' part of the initialization unless I use the 'dma' cheatcode. It will not mount any of the partitions automatically. I changed the /etc/fstab to match the mandrake one with the auto option on all of the partitions and used the command 'mount -a' but it gave the error about wrong filesystem type. So then I attempted to mount each one individually using the respective commands similar to 'mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows' (after creating the directory /mnt/windows of course). It still gives me the same error. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By el__sid in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 11:43 AM
-
By lilpaul in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
-
By tzulberti in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 11:18 AM
-
By tyiooo in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 05:25 AM
-
By eliashan in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel Core i7-4770 CPU
$26.00

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99