It is not necessary. In fact, I skip this version of the kernel given what I see on the kernel mailing list. Newer is not always better.
I know that the latest is supposed to be better but I am having different kinds of trouble with the new "stable?" kernel. And it is not only knoppix but my Slackware 9 as well.
I also noticed that there are still linux users who use 2.2 and they are satisfied with it for its stability.
What I want to know is the advantage of this kernel from those who have made the latest knoppix work.
It is not necessary. In fact, I skip this version of the kernel given what I see on the kernel mailing list. Newer is not always better.
I think 2.4.22 will be coming out soon and hopefully will provide fixes for some of the things that are messed up in 2.4.21.
--After waiting MORE THAN six months between 2.4.20 and 21, it was a poor effort for them to release it with so many things broken in it.Talk about bad PR...
Originally Posted by aay
It seems that things turn worse since .19. Many people on the mailing said they found 2.4.18 the most stable.Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)
$200.00
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$299.99
DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$74.99
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$145.00
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) TK-50 Tape Drive
$80.00
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital M8933 module tape control TM03 common mode (B1)
$129.99