-
My KDE is goosed :(
Hi all,
Don't know what caused it but one morning I booted up the PC and ended up at console log-in as, you probably guessed from subject, my KDE is well and truly goosed...
OK, not a problem.... did some lateral thinking and just booted into Icewm etc... but I'd like to get KDE back up and running. (At least now I've tried a few of the alternatives, also I installed Enlightenment outta curiousity.... check it out!)
Anyways, messing about with apt-get to re-install = unmet dependencies, which I haven't been able to get sorted yet.. My question is, can I do a re-install Windows-style ie: fix the problem WITHOUT screwing up my settings/software, or does a re-install from the Knoppix CD put me back to square one? Just wanna know, thanks in advance.
Mike.
PS I'll send a tenner to the wittiest response quoting "re-install Windows-style ie: fix the problem WITHOUT screwing up my settings" LMAO
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm struggling with this problem myself. Not reached a resolution yet (diallup sloth).
What I do know is that
a re-install from the Knoppix CD put me back to square one
is true. Unless you have a seperate /home. When it's less true.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4051
for details.
One thought: if you did nothing and your Kde is goosed, it might be possible to recover.
Thoughts, anyone?
-
Been reading up a bit more, looks like a few people have had similar problems.
Anyways, I'm gonna try this:
1. Edit my source.list and comment out the stable and testing references
2. Attempt to apt-get -t install kde
Wish me luck and I'll post my results.
PS I did try apt-get install gnome and guess what? Unmet dependencies. Poo!!
-
Me so happy, ME SO HAPPY!!!!! Phew, back to normal now...
OK, what I did:
Commented out all references to stable and testing in /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
Then apt-get install kde..... unmet dependencies kde-amusements (Can you believe that?)
Okies, apt-get install kde-amusements... then...
apt-get install kde
Rebooted...
apt-get install kdm
Reboot
apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade (100mb download to install 7.82mb, what's with that?)
Started kdm et voila! ich habe ein "FULLY WORKING KDE ONCE MORE!!"
If this info helps then I'm happy, good luck! I think the main thing is to comment out the stable and testing refs in sources.list because (and I failed to mention this earlier) the reason I think KDE got goosed in first place was coz I did an apt-get dist-upgrade.... Anyone smarter than me confirm or deny my theory that dist-upgrade is ONLY safe when apt-getting from a constrained source? IE: In my case, unstable...
Thanks in advance, Mike..
-
I cannot believe that noone has posted a reply to this yet, as it seems a lot of you have had similar problems to myself. C'mon guys, let me know if my info has helped at all.
Cya Mike.
-
Senior Member
registered user
We were probably all kicking ourselves after doing a re-install! 
Congratulations!
Can anyone comment on how commenting
out all references to stable and testing in /etc/apt/sources.list
is likely to affect a system in the future?
Are there any caveats?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU
$6998.00

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA
$196.99

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99