-
Newbie question on remastering
Hi all!
I was able to successfully remaster knoppix 3.1 using the general remastering howto.
2 questions:
1. How do you mount boot.img to be able to edit the script inside it (I was able to use mount -o loop boot.img /mnt/test but I can't edit the script)
2. How can I change the default knoppix logo inside boot.img? How do I make one?
Thank you very much!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had a little trouble with that too. I wasn;t able to save any changes. then I figured out a way to do it. There's a file inside boot.img called logo.png or maybe it was logo16.png.... which is not used for anything, so cp logo16.png .. (move it up one level). There is 0 free space to work with in boot.img, and that's why you have to do this in order to be able to make any changes.
You should be able to edit boot.msg and syslinux.cfg now.
The logo:
Now you can:
mv your bmp logo into the mounted, decompressed boot.img
name it logo16.bmp
bmptoppm <logo16.bmp >logo16.ppm
ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16
Or if its a png file:
name it logo16.png
pngtoppm <logo16.png >logo16.ppm
ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16
You don't want it to be much bigger than 50kb. It has to be 640x480 or even 640x400, and 16 colors.
rm your logo- logo16.png or logo16.bmp
When done, move the original logo16.png back into the mounted dir where boot.img is. It will not be able to put the whole file in there since you've changed the contents, but will put as much of this file in as will fit in order to fill the space and get back to the boot.img original size.
Similar Threads
-
By ryanpq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 03:29 PM
-
By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By spite in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 02:53 PM
-
By merc in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Macintosh Portable Vintage Portable Computer w/ Carry Case & Power Adapter
$800.00

Macintosh PowerBook G3 141 PDQ Vintage Laptop Late 1998 G2U
$56.00

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

DayStar Digital Turbo 040 Macintosh Accelerator Card Motorola 68040RC40 Vintage
$599.00

Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard +
$399.95

Apple Macintosh Plus Vintage Home Computer System with Accessories
$1610.00

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$224.10

Vintage Apple Mac A1048 White Wired Full Size Keyboard w/ 2 USB Ports TESTED
$22.89