Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: To chroot or not to chroot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    10

    To chroot or not to chroot

    I messed up /etc/x11/xfconfig-4 on hdd2.
    I need to boot the cd, open /etc/x11/xf86Config-4 (on hdd2)edit, and save the changes. When I do, Kwrite won't allow the write. A chroot /mnt/hdd2 returns numerous Permission denied.

    I can boot fom the hard drive, log in as root (no GUI) , but can't seem to find x11 in the etc directory, even though when booting from cd , the directory and everything is there when I click on the /mnt/hdd2 icon.

    I know this is simple...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    try booting the CD with
    knoppix single
    startx
    now you are root
    dont forget enable writing mode for hdd2

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: To chroot or not to chroot

    Quote Originally Posted by sminotti
    I messed up /etc/x11/xfconfig-4 on hdd2.
    I need to boot the cd, open /etc/x11/xf86Config-4 (on hdd2)edit, and save the changes. When I do, Kwrite won't allow the write. A chroot /mnt/hdd2 returns numerous Permission denied.

    I can boot fom the hard drive, log in as root (no GUI) , but can't seem to find x11 in the etc directory, even though when booting from cd , the directory and everything is there when I click on the /mnt/hdd2 icon.

    I know this is simple...
    Try booting from the CD then in a console window:

    sudo mount /dev/hdd2 /mnt/hdd2
    sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hdd2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    This will copy the config file from the CD to the HD and allow you to boot to the KDE login screen also I see when you type the lines here you are not using Capital letters where necessary if you are doing this from the HD when you booted then you will not be looking for the right directory.

Similar Threads

  1. X apps in chroot
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 02:09 AM
  2. chroot problem
    By Gandalf_Grey_ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
  3. chroot help
    By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
  4. X programs from chroot
    By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
  5. chroot Name Res Fails
    By mmaki in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop picture

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop

$29.99



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99