-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: To chroot or not to chroot

Originally Posted by
sminotti
I messed up /etc/x11/xfconfig-4 on hdd2.
I need to boot the cd, open /etc/x11/xf86Config-4 (on hdd2)edit, and save the changes. When I do, Kwrite won't allow the write. A chroot /mnt/hdd2 returns numerous Permission denied.
I can boot fom the hard drive, log in as root (no GUI) , but can't seem to find x11 in the etc directory, even though when booting from cd , the directory and everything is there when I click on the /mnt/hdd2 icon.
I know this is simple...
Try booting from the CD then in a console window:
sudo mount /dev/hdd2 /mnt/hdd2
sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hdd2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
This will copy the config file from the CD to the HD and allow you to boot to the KDE login screen also I see when you type the lines here you are not using Capital letters where necessary if you are doing this from the HD when you booted then you will not be looking for the right directory.
Similar Threads
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 02:09 AM
-
By Gandalf_Grey_ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
-
By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
-
By mmaki in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM TVKGH 88Wh Laptop Battery For Dell Latitude 9510 2-in-1 Latitude 9510 9520
$29.43

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W
$31.69

OEM Genuine 42WH WDX0R WDXOR Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$29.79

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

OEM 69KF2 Battery 86Wh For Dell Inspiron 7510 16 Plus 7610 7620 XPS 15 9500 9510
$50.09

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery WV3K8 Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3320 3330 3515
$47.95