Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Help Needed .. in a bad way ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    Help Needed .. in a bad way ...

    Guys and Gals

    I've got a bit of a problem my Windows XP laptop has died - I've burnt a cd with Knoppix on it - and it boots fine. My Linux abilities are a bit rusty and well thin on the ground - I need to transfer files off the HD so I need to get SSH working so I can connect to the laptop from another windows machine.

    Each time I run SSHD I get could not load host key..

    Can anyone shed some light how to get this up and running

    Any help gratefully appreciated.

    Cheers

    Junior

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    sudo sshd

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Same error messages even after I did

    ssh-keygen -t rsa1 -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key -N "passphrase"
    ssh-keygen -t dsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key -N "passphrase"
    ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key -N "passphrase"

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Titletown (Green Bay, WI)
    Posts
    7

    Re: Help Needed .. in a bad way ...

    Quote Originally Posted by junior
    Guys and Gals

    I've got a bit of a problem my Windows XP laptop has died - I've burnt a cd with Knoppix on it - and it boots fine. My Linux abilities are a bit rusty and well thin on the ground - I need to transfer files off the HD so I need to get SSH working so I can connect to the laptop from another windows machine.

    Junior
    If your goal is to get the files off to another windows machine, I'd recommend the easy approach. Start the ftp daemon on the Knoppix side, then use a windows ftp client on the good side. Not quite as secure, but much less pain than ssh for a temporary fix.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    What I've done is downloaded an FTP server on a.n. other windows box and I'm ftp'ng off now ..

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Actually, did you try ' /etc/init.d/ssh start ' as root?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    sudo sshd

Similar Threads

  1. Some help needed please.
    By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
  2. Two really needed programs
    By miguipda in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
  3. help needed
    By ryansanders2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
  4. help needed with lm sensors
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. how many partitions are needed?
    By turbine in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$69.99



Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used picture

Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used

$160.00



DEC Vintage Pulse-to-Step Converter Driver Interface Card for DEC Systems picture

DEC Vintage Pulse-to-Step Converter Driver Interface Card for DEC Systems

$50.00



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$95.00



DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$100.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99