Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Help Needed .. in a bad way ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    Help Needed .. in a bad way ...

    Guys and Gals

    I've got a bit of a problem my Windows XP laptop has died - I've burnt a cd with Knoppix on it - and it boots fine. My Linux abilities are a bit rusty and well thin on the ground - I need to transfer files off the HD so I need to get SSH working so I can connect to the laptop from another windows machine.

    Each time I run SSHD I get could not load host key..

    Can anyone shed some light how to get this up and running

    Any help gratefully appreciated.

    Cheers

    Junior

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    sudo sshd

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Same error messages even after I did

    ssh-keygen -t rsa1 -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key -N "passphrase"
    ssh-keygen -t dsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key -N "passphrase"
    ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key -N "passphrase"

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Titletown (Green Bay, WI)
    Posts
    7

    Re: Help Needed .. in a bad way ...

    Quote Originally Posted by junior
    Guys and Gals

    I've got a bit of a problem my Windows XP laptop has died - I've burnt a cd with Knoppix on it - and it boots fine. My Linux abilities are a bit rusty and well thin on the ground - I need to transfer files off the HD so I need to get SSH working so I can connect to the laptop from another windows machine.

    Junior
    If your goal is to get the files off to another windows machine, I'd recommend the easy approach. Start the ftp daemon on the Knoppix side, then use a windows ftp client on the good side. Not quite as secure, but much less pain than ssh for a temporary fix.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    What I've done is downloaded an FTP server on a.n. other windows box and I'm ftp'ng off now ..

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Actually, did you try ' /etc/init.d/ssh start ' as root?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    sudo sshd

Similar Threads

  1. Some help needed please.
    By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
  2. Two really needed programs
    By miguipda in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
  3. help needed
    By ryansanders2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
  4. help needed with lm sensors
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. how many partitions are needed?
    By turbine in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR** picture

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR**

$69.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power picture

Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power

$129.99



Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari picture

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari

$129.99



Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested picture

Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested

$29.78



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00