Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mouse in root console and adduser

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    mouse in root console and adduser

    Hi,

    How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

    Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

    How should I add users?

    Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: mouse in root console and adduser

    ' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
    ' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.

    --That's a little weird with adduser, but you could try ' /etc/init.d/portmap start ' and see if that helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    Hi,

    How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

    Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

    How should I add users?

    Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    thanks!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    Re: mouse in root console and adduser

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    ' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
    ' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.
    yep. gpm is the one (I remember using it from my courses). a follow-up question: is there a KDE utility (or something else) which allows me to detect the mouse type? I have an Dell intellimouse which is ps2 compatible but when I enter 'gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2' the gpm deamon loads just fine, and it "sort of works" in the sense that I see a cursor in the console, but it jumps all around, cannot be accurately aimed and sends garbage to the console.

    gpm-mouse-test finds the device just fine but detects only ambiguous baud rates and cannot identify the mouse type.

    BTW - I boot with the "wheelmouse" option

    any ideas?

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. is having root console in kde upon hd install security risk?
    By objectconstant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 10:47 AM
  2. Root Console prob
    By fishjg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
  3. knx-hdinstall does nothing at root console
    By rrfish72 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
  4. can't Ping in Root Console to update packages
    By Drezliok in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy picture

Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy

$499.99



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2 picture

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2

$75.00



ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks

$199.00