Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mouse in root console and adduser

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    mouse in root console and adduser

    Hi,

    How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

    Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

    How should I add users?

    Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: mouse in root console and adduser

    ' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
    ' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.

    --That's a little weird with adduser, but you could try ' /etc/init.d/portmap start ' and see if that helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    Hi,

    How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

    Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

    How should I add users?

    Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    thanks!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    Re: mouse in root console and adduser

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    ' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
    ' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.
    yep. gpm is the one (I remember using it from my courses). a follow-up question: is there a KDE utility (or something else) which allows me to detect the mouse type? I have an Dell intellimouse which is ps2 compatible but when I enter 'gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2' the gpm deamon loads just fine, and it "sort of works" in the sense that I see a cursor in the console, but it jumps all around, cannot be accurately aimed and sends garbage to the console.

    gpm-mouse-test finds the device just fine but detects only ambiguous baud rates and cannot identify the mouse type.

    BTW - I boot with the "wheelmouse" option

    any ideas?

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. is having root console in kde upon hd install security risk?
    By objectconstant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 10:47 AM
  2. Root Console prob
    By fishjg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
  3. knx-hdinstall does nothing at root console
    By rrfish72 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
  4. can't Ping in Root Console to update packages
    By Drezliok in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included picture

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included

$299.99