Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: mouse in root console and adduser

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    mouse in root console and adduser

    Hi,

    How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

    Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

    How should I add users?

    Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: mouse in root console and adduser

    ' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
    ' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.

    --That's a little weird with adduser, but you could try ' /etc/init.d/portmap start ' and see if that helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    Hi,

    How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

    Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

    How should I add users?

    Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    thanks!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53

    Re: mouse in root console and adduser

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    ' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
    ' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.
    yep. gpm is the one (I remember using it from my courses). a follow-up question: is there a KDE utility (or something else) which allows me to detect the mouse type? I have an Dell intellimouse which is ps2 compatible but when I enter 'gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2' the gpm deamon loads just fine, and it "sort of works" in the sense that I see a cursor in the console, but it jumps all around, cannot be accurately aimed and sends garbage to the console.

    gpm-mouse-test finds the device just fine but detects only ambiguous baud rates and cannot identify the mouse type.

    BTW - I boot with the "wheelmouse" option

    any ideas?

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. is having root console in kde upon hd install security risk?
    By objectconstant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 10:47 AM
  2. Root Console prob
    By fishjg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
  3. knx-hdinstall does nothing at root console
    By rrfish72 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
  4. can't Ping in Root Console to update packages
    By Drezliok in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board picture

2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board

$49.99



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe picture

SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe

$73.99