Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: What Debian Packages do you have installed?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14

    What Debian Packages do you have installed?

    Just downloaded and installed my first .deb package. I needed the DVD player update and it installed just fine and DVDs now play just fine.

    Just curious to know what other packages folks find useful or essential.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22
    LOL!
    First I was going to post the output from the "dpkg -l" command.

    Errr...I install most of my software using the Debian package system - be it download and dpkg, apt-get or dselect, so lots and lots of it.

    As desktop I use Fluxbox, it's a lot less cluttered than KDE and Gnome and runs well on my older computers. It's lightweight and pretty. Terminal emulator - Eterm, the one and only. Pine and Thunderbird for email (T-Bird being one of the few apps I don't install using Debian's packaging system).

    Really, really essential packages: wget, lftp, vim, vim (and vim-gtk). Those go a long way.

    I could go on, but I really shouldn't. But I'm glad you have discovered one of the fine things about Debian.

    hw

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Let me get this straight... You use fluxbox because it's lightweight, and then use ETERM?!

    --Just kidding.

    --Software that I have found useful, but had to be installed after HD-install because it was not included or dropped from the Knoppix rev:

    aptitude
    bittorrent
    ethstatus == Basic Network monitor
    localepurge == Save disk space
    memtest86
    mplayer == Play movies
    ncftp == FTP; can use Batch cmds like ncftpget
    star == Tar from Joerg Schily, author of cdrecord - can split archive into CDR-sized chunks
    vsftpd == Most secure FTP server daemon
    xv == Pic viewer

    --I keep track of all new/deleted packages and system changes in a text file, that's how I can rattle off a list like this.


    Quote Originally Posted by hw-tph
    LOL!
    First I was going to post the output from the "dpkg -l" command.

    Errr...I install most of my software using the Debian package system - be it download and dpkg, apt-get or dselect, so lots and lots of it.

    As desktop I use Fluxbox, it's a lot less cluttered than KDE and Gnome and runs well on my older computers. It's lightweight and pretty. Terminal emulator - Eterm, the one and only. Pine and Thunderbird for email (T-Bird being one of the few apps I don't install using Debian's packaging system).

    Really, really essential packages: wget, lftp, vim, vim (and vim-gtk). Those go a long way.

    I could go on, but I really shouldn't. But I'm glad you have discovered one of the fine things about Debian.

    hw

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I installed
    latest kde alpha, (I like being on the edge)
    bittorrent
    xmule (guess...)
    kmplayer + mplayer
    lotz of plugins for xmms and other progs, skins (like liquid), wallpapers, screensavers etc
    kopete (chat chat chat)
    synaptic (graphical package manager)
    aptitude (not-s-graphical package manager)
    localepurge (diskspace indeed)
    rafkill (nice raptor-like game)

    and wolfenstein Enemy territory, but thats not a debian file...

    guess there is even more... its so easy using apt-get...

Similar Threads

  1. problems finding some installed packages
    By drippyhippie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 05:57 AM
  2. Updating packages on my hard disk installed Knoppix system?
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 11:24 AM
  3. packages.debian.org
    By mpeters13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 04:40 AM
  4. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
  5. Show all installed packages
    By EMH_Mark3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD  🚚 picture

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚

$140.00



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH

$225.00



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH

$225.00