Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Cannot open display

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
    But with the music CDs, kmix doesn't have the CD muted but when I go to press play xmms seems to freeze. I use the via82cxxx_audio module. Again, other sounds work just fine, its just the CDs. dmesg gives me a line that says: via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11
    I get the drain error also and xmms also appears to freeze but plays mp3 or ogg's fine after I kill off the arts sound server never tried playing a CD though. Try this ps xa | grep arts then use kill number_of_artsd_process ie.
    Code:
    [02:32 PM Wed Aug 13: stephen @ ~]
    >$ ps xa | grep arts
      616 ?        S      0:01 artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -a oss -d -b 16 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
    [02:32 PM Wed Aug 13: stephen @ ~]
    >$ kill 616

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37
    I had to kill the process called:

    artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f

    and CDs now work!

    Stephen thanks a bunch bro.

    Now I have to find out where that process is getting started

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by ferreter

    Now I have to find out where that process is getting started
    Go into the Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System in the aRts tab uncheck the start arts sound sever on KDE startup.

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37
    What exactly is the arts sound server used for anyways? If we have alsa, why would we need another sound server?

    I apologize for all the questions but I'm slowly working my way to being completely MS free at home and always want to know what's going on in my systems

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Cannot open display

    --To get a better XFree86 config file, you can DL the SuSE 8.2 LiveCD and use ' sax2 ' to generate it, then cp the file over to your Knoppix install and tweak it if necessary. This enables the best fullscreen modes in VMware.

    ftp://ftp.uniroma2.it/Linux/suse/pub...live-eval-8.2/

    )This is just one of the mirrors.(

    Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
    I eventually want to get VMware running but not until I iron out these bugs hehe.

  6. #16
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    37
    Thanks! I'll definately look into doing that. Why would I get a better xf86config file this way though?

    Right now I use the Gforce2 40/40 mx card in my machine and get a nice resolution in Xfree with only a slightly noticable refresh glich in the lower left corner of the screen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Help! cannot open emacs!
    By linuxprince in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:45 PM
  2. Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: [for www-data user]
    By roger_girardin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 10:07 PM
  3. Unable to open display properties
    By ZX in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:34 AM
  4. Root can not open display
    By jackrabbit in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 06:51 AM
  5. Port 80 Open
    By oscar in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Micron 32GB (16GB x 2) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz ECC RDIMM Memory (sku 0054) picture

Micron 32GB (16GB x 2) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz ECC RDIMM Memory (sku 0054)

$199.00



Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory picture

Kingston KF432S20IBK2/32 FURY Impact 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MT/s CL20 Laptop Memory

$150.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory

$2150.00



NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory picture

NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory

$75.00



64MB (2 x 32MB) 72 Pin EDO Memory SIMM 5V Non Parity 60ns picture

64MB (2 x 32MB) 72 Pin EDO Memory SIMM 5V Non Parity 60ns

$19.44



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$234.00



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35