I had to kill the process called:
artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
and CDs now work!
Stephen thanks a bunch bro.
Now I have to find out where that process is getting started![]()
I get the drain error also and xmms also appears to freeze but plays mp3 or ogg's fine after I kill off the arts sound server never tried playing a CD though. Try this ps xa | grep arts then use kill number_of_artsd_process ie.Originally Posted by ferreter
Code:[02:32 PM Wed Aug 13: stephen @ ~] >$ ps xa | grep arts 616 ? S 0:01 artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -a oss -d -b 16 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f [02:32 PM Wed Aug 13: stephen @ ~] >$ kill 616
I had to kill the process called:
artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
and CDs now work!
Stephen thanks a bunch bro.
Now I have to find out where that process is getting started![]()
Go into the Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System in the aRts tab uncheck the start arts sound sever on KDE startup.Originally Posted by ferreter
What exactly is the arts sound server used for anyways? If we have alsa, why would we need another sound server?
I apologize for all the questions but I'm slowly working my way to being completely MS free at home and always want to know what's going on in my systems![]()
--To get a better XFree86 config file, you can DL the SuSE 8.2 LiveCD and use ' sax2 ' to generate it, then cp the file over to your Knoppix install and tweak it if necessary. This enables the best fullscreen modes in VMware.
ftp://ftp.uniroma2.it/Linux/suse/pub...live-eval-8.2/
)This is just one of the mirrors.(
Originally Posted by ferreter
Thanks! I'll definately look into doing that. Why would I get a better xf86config file this way though?
Right now I use the Gforce2 40/40 mx card in my machine and get a nice resolution in Xfree with only a slightly noticable refresh glich in the lower left corner of the screen.

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$175.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$106.67
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99