Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: How to run second KDE being chrooted?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    How to run second KDE being chrooted?

    Hi guys,

    I was wondering whether someone could guide me on how to run second KDE being chrooted.
    I have followed the description:

    --- cut ---
    (b) Start X in the chrooted environment
    You can run a second X server. So you don't have to exit from your
    current session. This might not work for you, for example if you need the
    nvidia driver to get X working. In that case you might skip (b) and try (c).
    - go to terminal tty2 or any other which is free. you probably only
    use tty1 at the moment.
    You can switch between the screens with Alt+F1, Alt+F2.
    Alt+F1 = tty1
    Alt+F2 = tty2
    Alt+F7 = xserver :0
    Alt+F8 = xserver :1 (the one we are going to start
    - setting the X server configuration up
    Copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from your computer to the knoppix
    source to /etc/X11/. Don't forget to delete this file after you have
    made the changes to the knoppix source.
    - log in as the knoppix user (see steps from a).
    - start X
    export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/twm
    export WINDOWMANAGER=/path/to/your/windowmanager (here I wrote /usr/bin/kde3?????)
    startx -- :1
    --- cut ---

    but without success.
    The second X server started but gave me an error that there is not enough RAM memory in my computer to run KDE. (I have 512 MB!)

    I am kindly asking someone to guide me through.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    Use Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login as root. Start a second X with startx -- :1. Zero is you current X. Then use Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8 as needed to switch between users.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    I don't think you understood me correctly...

    I don't want any second KDE session, but the one that will run from chrooted environment.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    Will anyone help me?

    People, please!!!

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18
    To start second KDE session in chrooted environment do the following:

    1. In your "normal" X environment start xterm and type:
    Code:
    Xnest -ac :1
    2.Go back to your chrooted source and type:
    Code:
    export DISPLAY=localhost:1
    startkde
    That is it!
    Now you can work in boot X environment, chrooted and your "normal" working environment.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    Have you tried method c of this Howto. This works fine for me every time. It is also the easiest way to work in my opinion. Don't know why you are getting memory error. I am also using 512MB. Hope you get it to work.

    (c) Display X application in your "normal" X environment
    Sometimes, I just need to make some minor changes to the knoppix source.
    When I then need to test an X application it is often convenient to have
    it opened in your "normal" X environment. Otherwise I would have
    to exit from the knoppix source, close X and access the knoppix source
    from again just to initiate X as shown in (b). Well, way to
    much of work really. So here another way of doing it.
    - start a second X server in your "normal" X environment
    start xterm or any other x terminal and type:
    Xnest -ac :1
    - go back to your knoppix source start kde3
    export DISPLAY=localhost:1
    startkde
    You can now work in both environments and do some tasks in one window
    and some in the other.
    (optionally)
    - if it has to be another window manager than kde. try this
    instead of typing startkde:
    export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/bin/gnome-session
    export WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/twm
    startx

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84

    NikiBob said it first. Do just what that says

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

    I love you guys!!! I knew I could count on you.
    I love Linux a lot, but I love people who help solving problems even more.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Hi,
    I am following the instructions above, and KDE does indeed begin to load in the Xnest window, but it hangs at the "initialising peripherals" stage in the splash screen. The console gives me the following:

    Code:
    bash-2.05b# startkde
    /usr/bin/startkde: line 118: /dev/null: Permission denied
    /usr/bin/startkde: line 122: /dev/null: Permission denied
    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1908, errno = 13
    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1910, errno = 2
    kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
    startkde: Starting up...
    Session management error: Could not open network socket
    Session management error: Could not open network socket
    kbuildsycoca running...
    Session management error: Could not open network socket
    Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? (I am using V3.2-2003-07-26 )

    Regards,
    Jake

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    12
    I found out what my problem was! I was mounting the hard disk partition using the handy hard disk icon on the knoppix desktop (which mounts disks with "nodev") rather than a proper:

    mount -o rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. chrooted environment, using web services
    By rahtz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
  2. Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 04:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$490.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$325.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99