I gave up on Lilo after getting the infamous no init found error in a knx-install (2003-06-06-EN). Seemed to me that Lilo was screwed as it wouldn't accept old /etc/lilo.confs which had worked fine with 3.1. However, Knoppix boots fine from a boot floppy -- hardly an optimal solution given that I need to dual boot with SuSE and floppys are dreadfully fragile.

So I put Grub on and get stage 1.5 error 2. The error reference says:

2 : "Selected disk doesn't exist"

This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full filename refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the BIOS in the system.

Which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. Knoppix is on hda1. This is the (relevant, I think) part of /boot/grub/menu.lst :

## ## End Default Options ##

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.20-xfs
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs root=/dev/hda1 ro
savedefault
boot

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.20-xfs (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs root=/dev/hda1 ro single
savedefault
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

Any ideas (even on what I may have done to deserve this) gratefully recieved.