-
Junior Member
registered user
Partition tables and problems (QTparted)
Sorry if this isn't the place to ask but I was impressed with the advice I got the last time!
It's a bit of a long question but essentially I have a dodgy partition table which I would like to fix. Details below -
At the moment I am still a slave to windows but am trying to break free!!
System - PII350, 256MB Ram, Hard drives -40GB Western Digital as Primary master, 6.4GB Quantum fireball as primary slave.
Since installing my new HD (the western digital drive) I wanted to leave a little room for Linux in a dual boot. Partitions made with dos fdisk - C:6GB (primary, fat32, active with win98 installed) and F: (extended 22GB with logical drive 22GB fat32 to share with linux)
My problems started when I tried to install redhat9 and got an error message that "the partition table on /dev/hda is inconsistent......" The redhat installation suggested that it may be a BIOS problem but I have the latest BIOS available and the drive is set up to be accessed with LBA.
I found my Knoppix CD and booted away
QTParted gives me the following
dev/hda
01 /dev/hda-1 free 0.03MB 0.00 to 0.03
02 /dev/hda1 fat32 Active 5.86GB 0.03 to 5.86
03 /dev/hda2 extended 21.5GB 5.86 to 27.36
04 /dev/hda-1 free 0.03MB 5.86 to 5.86
05 /dev/hda5 fat32 21.50GB 5.86 to 27.36
06 /dev/hda-1 free 9.92GB 27.36 to 37.27
Now, to my untrained eye it looks like there are 2 unnecessary free disk partitions 01 and 04. If I look at my old 6.4GB disk with QT parted there are no small free areas so I guess windows doesn't need them (perhaps I'm wrong).
Is it safe to delete the free areas - and if so how?
Do I need to use QTparted to make a boot partition at the start of the drive for a Linux install or will that kill the windows installation?
Any help very gratefully received!!
Alan
Similar Threads
-
By duncang in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
-
By eadz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 12
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 11:34 AM
-
By duah55 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:56 PM
-
By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 01:05 AM
-
By FlorianK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Desktop Vacuum Cleaner Mini Desk Portable Dust Crumb White
$21.35

WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige
$93.82

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67