-
HCF Modem - how I got it to work (maybe I was just lucky)
First of all - I am not much of a Linux insider - I really only just started. I did the HDD install last night and worked this morning on getting my Connexant HCF Modem up and running. Still I would like to share my experience with you guys - it might just help someone at a later stage.
1) The first obstacle I had to overcome was to mount my Windows
partition to Knoppix. Why, well I needed to get my Modem to work and so I had to download everything running evil WinXP.
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /win
did the trick - I don't really know, whether this is the best way of doing it - but it sure did the trick for me.
2) I had to find out what Modem I have - the following site helped
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
by providing a simple script for analysis. So I figured out that I have a HCF Modem, Vendor 14F1, Device 1085 - whatever that might mean
3) Got the necessary driver from http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/
I downloaded the tar-archive, which was said to be most compatible and of course I also downloaded the installation instructions - why, because I work in Tech Help for a living and I learned what "rtfm" means
I changed the name of the file though, making it "modem.tar" only (as I am too lazy to remember long file names) and then followed the instructions...
1. extract the package with "tar -xzf modem.tar.gz"
2. change to the package directory with "cd hcfpcimodem-{version}"
3. run "make install" from the top of the package directory.
(It says something about "Debian users might need to change the KERNELSRC definition in modules/common.mak first", but that wasn't necessary)
4. run "hcfpciconfig" to complete the installation and configure your modem - well I used the autoconfig
Only one more question (that of where the Kernel resides and they even suggested the right path and things were cool. I am up and running, typing this message and I think it worked great.
So THANKS TO EVERYONE, who helped with their posts and thanks to Mr. Knopper for making Knoppix!
Similar Threads
-
By AJones in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-03-2005, 04:12 AM
-
By bluecinnabar in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-27-2004, 10:37 PM
-
By tomasko in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-28-2004, 06:00 PM
-
By brianinmaine in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:45 PM
-
By The Fader in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99