First of all - I am not much of a Linux insider - I really only just started. I did the HDD install last night and worked this morning on getting my Connexant HCF Modem up and running. Still I would like to share my experience with you guys - it might just help someone at a later stage.
1) The first obstacle I had to overcome was to mount my Windowspartition to Knoppix. Why, well I needed to get my Modem to work and so I had to download everything running evil WinXP.
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /win
did the trick - I don't really know, whether this is the best way of doing it - but it sure did the trick for me.
2) I had to find out what Modem I have - the following site helped
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
by providing a simple script for analysis. So I figured out that I have a HCF Modem, Vendor 14F1, Device 1085 - whatever that might mean
3) Got the necessary driver from http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/
I downloaded the tar-archive, which was said to be most compatible and of course I also downloaded the installation instructions - why, because I work in Tech Help for a living and I learned what "rtfm" meansI changed the name of the file though, making it "modem.tar" only (as I am too lazy to remember long file names) and then followed the instructions...
1. extract the package with "tar -xzf modem.tar.gz"
2. change to the package directory with "cd hcfpcimodem-{version}"
3. run "make install" from the top of the package directory.
(It says something about "Debian users might need to change the KERNELSRC definition in modules/common.mak first", but that wasn't necessary)
4. run "hcfpciconfig" to complete the installation and configure your modem - well I used the autoconfig
Only one more question (that of where the Kernel resides and they even suggested the right path and things were cool. I am up and running, typing this message and I think it worked great.
So THANKS TO EVERYONE, who helped with their posts and thanks to Mr. Knopper for making Knoppix!

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00