Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Getting rid of Grub

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Getting rid of Grub

    After a dailiance with Grub I've now decided to go back to Lilo.

    Question is, (this is a Linux only system) how do I get grub off my mbr?

    Would a free DOS boot disk do it? I've seen a menu entry somewhere.......

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    OK, I found a freeDOS bootdisk on my SuSE installation (sans documentation) and downloaded a DOS 6.22 bootdisk from off the net. Problem is that these are images: there's no obvious way to write them to a floppy (I've tried all the obviouys ways and they don't work).

    I think I need to use dd, but after reading the man page I'm (as usual) more confused than ever. Any advice gratefully recieved.

    (BTW, isn't it a bit sad that there are no -- I think -- Linux internal tools available to zap an mbr )

    "To fix your mbr, first install Windows..........."

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    just install lilo as usual and GRUB would go. Afterall, every boot loader install would automatically uninstall the previous one as they just write to the same 512 byte sector of a HD.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3
    If you ever feel you really want to get complete control over your mbr there's a utility that comes with knoppix called 'install-mbr'

    It's most basic use would be if you'd installed one or more boot loaders into partition boot sectors instead of into the mbr and you wanted to switch which partition is set active in the partition table. Of course, it'll do lots else besides.

    Just curious - why are you switching back to Lilo?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Just curious - why are you switching back to Lilo?
    Well, better the beast you know: I always found Grub better (when I could get it working) but I don't like (or understand) the syntax: it's just too free form for me.

    Anyway, I discovered I was pointing lilo at the wrong place (so I managed to overwrite the mbr in the end) and then that my bios had somehow decided (I'm sure I'd reset it to the proper values) that my 40gig drive was 8gig. Changing that (and -- although I'm not sure this was necessary, using linear rather than lba32 -- will test later), using my old lilo.conf with all references to SuSE commented out, did it. Only took 12 hours!

    I put it down to the heatwave we have in the UK.......

    Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.

Similar Threads

  1. Grub
    By tenlientl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
  2. How to use Grub
    By Neil Young & Crazy Ho in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:05 AM
  3. GRUB ... then nothing
    By dantay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
  4. lilo to grub???
    By phantomshado in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:45 AM
  5. Grub Question
    By iamanewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5

HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drive MTFDDAK240TCB

$24.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD Solid State Drive MZVLW512HMJP-000L7 MZ-VLB5120 picture

Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD Solid State Drive MZVLW512HMJP-000L7 MZ-VLB5120

$51.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00