Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Max file size?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23

    Max file size?

    How do you get knoppix to see files over 2GB? My hard drive is formatted with reiserfs. I've done some research on the topic, but it's confusing as some sites say it will work and others say you have to recompile all programs you want to use with large files with large file support. Can anyone provide some clarity?

    I've got some captured video which I'd like to encode. I'd much rather use Linux as I can write a script and do multiple files without worrying about it and checking it every ten minutes.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    From the FAQ on http://www.namesys.com/ I get 4 Gbytes with 3.5 and 17.6 Tbytes(should be 1 Ebytes, but limited by page cache on 32 bit) with 3.6.

    I hear that 4 will raise the limits further, but I guess that'll run into page cache limits.......

    From what I remember, ext2 and 3 have limits in the Tbytes range.

    HTH, but for a definitive answer, I'd post to the Reiser list.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    That's just the problem, I should beable to use files bigger than 2GB but I can't. It lists them as 16TB when I mount a Windows share. When I try to copy it copies some, but never goes over 0%

    I think the kernel needs to be compiled with --largefiles (as far as I understand) So, has this been done? Is there a remaster I could download with it in? or will I have to wait until I'm brave enough to recompile the kernel?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --How are you mounting the share drive? (Be specific with commands used.) I dunno if mount/samba has problems with NTFS or not, maybe that could be a factor. If you have enough HD space on your Knoppix box maybe you could FTP the files over...

    Quote Originally Posted by gretchen
    That's just the problem, I should beable to use files bigger than 2GB but I can't. It lists them as 16TB when I mount a Windows share. When I try to copy it copies some, but never goes over 0%

    I think the kernel needs to be compiled with --largefiles (as far as I understand) So, has this been done? Is there a remaster I could download with it in? or will I have to wait until I'm brave enough to recompile the kernel?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    from my fstab
    //windows/work /mnt/work smbfs rw,uid=1000 0 0
    There are a couple options I don't remember and I'm not at my home computer now. I think using samba is my problem, because I read that smbfs can't handle files over 2GB. (now I can't find that link) From another link that I can't find, I also read that samba has no trouble with writing to NTFS, because samba has it's own file system (or something like that)

    Anyway, I just configured the recording program to record to 2GB segments, and I join them when I edit out the commercials in Virtual Dub. It works for now.

Similar Threads

  1. huge file (2.8GB) wrong size under Knoppix3.7 but ok with XP
    By Ralph.Bremer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:48 PM
  2. 2 Gig FAT32 File Size Limit
    By uc2nluv in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
  3. K3b problems with temp file size
    By docgk1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
  4. Puzzled beginner, question, file size v3.6
    By Ptarmigan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
  5. Knoppix file size
    By blahman420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-14400F 2.50GHz 6 Core SRN3R 16 Thread LGA 1700 CPU picture

Intel Core i5-14400F 2.50GHz 6 Core SRN3R 16 Thread LGA 1700 CPU

$165.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core i5-13500 2.5GHz/4.8GHz Boost 14-Core SRMBM LGA1700 Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-13500 2.5GHz/4.8GHz Boost 14-Core SRMBM LGA1700 Desktop Processor

$165.00