play /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
That'll get you the lady anyway.
Do you have the aRts sound server enabled on startup for user?
I don't know where you'd put that .ogg to get it to run on boot exactly.
On the CD version there's a woman saying "initialising start-up process" or something similar. Now, I can't get my user knoppix to have any sound on start up, although root does the standard "bump-tiddy-bump" Kde noises.
Any way to get the lady back?
play /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
That'll get you the lady anyway.
Do you have the aRts sound server enabled on startup for user?
I don't know where you'd put that .ogg to get it to run on boot exactly.
To check the settings in KDE go to the Control Center then Sound System and make sure that the start aRts checkbox is selected then in the System Notifications make sure the sounds are selected in the KDE starting up and exiting options. The exiting sound would be the shutdown.ogg in the above mentioned directory.
Thanks: I'll give that a go. In the meantime, I've more pressing sound issues (see above). Dunno why, but I'm really struggling with this install. BTW, I'm running ALSA, installed with/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig which, aside from no start up or shut down noises as knoppix, worked fine.
Off to bed, I've spent way too long today fiddling with this today!
Check in the Sound I/O tab in Sound System for ALSA being used for the Sound I/O method as well.Originally Posted by fingers99
thanks both. I've got the lady back (as root at least -- yet to check as users) the saga continues here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=19422#19422
My sound chip wasn't recognised when booting the CD but I went ahead and did an HD-install anyway. Then just to see what would happen I typed
# alsa<TAB>
to see what ALSA related commands were in root's PATH. I found 'alsa_snddevices' and 'alsa_init'. I ran them both and immediately sound was working, much to my surprise.
Some time later I discovered the 'knoppix alsa' cheat code for booting the CD. This also set up sound perfectly for the live CD. Doesn't this configuration carry over to an HD-install?
Having a working sound system already I didn't want to start over just check it works.
/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
works on HD installs, but I think there are some issues on reboot if (like me) you play with the /etc/group file. My guess is that this (whatever it is) is a left over from one of the Knoppix CD scripts.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95