-
I want to 'upgrade' to woody after HDD Install
Dear All,
I have installed Knoppix on my HDD using knx-hdinstall and I went through and disabled te testing and unstable debian sources. I then gave it a bit of apt-get dist-upgrade in hope of replacing everything with woody packages so that I would have woody running on my comp.
I removed 125 packages installed some others but there were some problems with dependancies.
I ran apt-get -f install to try and resolve this but no good.
Is there some order that I should try and put these on in. Has anyone else managed to convert thier Knoppix HD into wooody?
Thanks in advance
Mr_D
P.S. I am a newbie so please elaborate with your responses.
-
Senior Member
registered user
it is strictly speaking a 'downgrade' to woody as KNOPPIX contains newer packages than woody.
If you really want a woody, I would rather do a 'debootstrap'. It would be too cumbersome(if possible at all) to downgrade.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: I want to 'upgrade' to woody after HDD Install

Originally Posted by
mr_dellarenta
I then gave it a bit of apt-get dist-upgrade in hope of replacing everything with woody packages so that I would have woody running on my comp.
You may want to try the method described in this thread on Debian Help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes "woody" would be a downgrade.If you must have it you might also consider trying http://developer.berlios.de/projects/bonzai/
Bonzai is supposed to be pure woody with a newer kernel and kde.Just a thought.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Tech2k
It's definitely Woody I'm using it right now the only thing with it is you have to do a lot of configuration on your own. You have to know your hardware and go through the configuration for that as well as using cfdisk to partition your HD then you have to figure out how to get the fonts looking good your audio working fixing the little oddities with getting your CD working for access and couple more things that I have yet to figure out. You end up with kernel 2.4.20-bf2.4 with no kernel headers no apm for shutdown of the computer the list goes on and on great way to figure out how to do an install semi-properly.
-
I altered a /etc/apt/preferences file which seemed to do the job.
apt-get -s upgrade gave no errors
actually doing it (apt-get upgrade) screwed up the whole thing.
450 packages downgraded and about 110 removed. But there were errors all over the place.
apt-get dist-upgrade and at-get deselect-upgrade just made things worse.
I might try Bonzai.
Mr_D
Similar Threads
-
By Alterscape in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 03:41 AM
-
By cujillo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-10-2004, 10:10 PM
-
By pc3 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:47 PM
-
By pc3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By RockMumbles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 17
Last Post: 03-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$759.99

Samsung Portable SSD T9 1TB USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Black Encrypted Drop Resistant
$185.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$461.10

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V8P1T0 EC
$115.00

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1774.24

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98