View Poll Results: Did this procedure work for you?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 73.81%
  • No

    11 26.19%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 87

Thread: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

  1. #51
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    im stuck on Setp 16 of the process...

    whenever i type in "cp /bootsect.knx /floppy" the Konsole says "bash: cp /bootsect.knx /floppy: No such file or directory"

    i already mounted the floppy...i dont understand what to do.

  2. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2
    Will this procedure work fine on my Toshiba laptop?

  3. #53
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    23

    Re: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

    I think all of you are crazy.

    You don't need gag, or grub for windows,

    (although I'd rather use grub for LInux)

    but anyways, LILO works just fine..

    I have an NTFS partition on /dev/hda1
    my Knoppix install at /dev/hda3
    (hda2 was where grub used to be)
    and Linux swap /dev/hda5

    so in other words, C: drive is NTFS, the rest are ext2 Linux partitions,
    and LILO works just fine for me, never had a single problem installing LILO into an NTFS partition. I just installed LILO in the MBR
    thats all I did and it works like a charm.

    so I think all these suggestions are bogus. these are nice alternatives
    but LILO works fine in the MBR

  4. #54
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

    Quote Originally Posted by bubazoo
    I think all of you are crazy. You don't need gag, or grub for windows, (although I'd rather use grub for LInux) but anyways, LILO works just fine...
    Hear-ye, Hear-ye, I'll second that motion!

    Regards,

  5. #55
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

    Quote Originally Posted by bubazoo
    I think all of you are crazy.

    You don't need gag, or grub for windows,

    (although I'd rather use grub for LInux)

    but anyways, LILO works just fine..

    I have an NTFS partition on /dev/hda1
    my Knoppix install at /dev/hda3
    (hda2 was where grub used to be)
    and Linux swap /dev/hda5

    so in other words, C: drive is NTFS, the rest are ext2 Linux partitions,
    and LILO works just fine for me, never had a single problem installing LILO into an NTFS partition. I just installed LILO in the MBR
    thats all I did and it works like a charm.

    so I think all these suggestions are bogus. these are nice alternatives
    but LILO works fine in the MBR
    How do you solve the problem of one HD, one partition which happens to be NTFS ? Can LILO still fit ? How about I don't have a CD burner so I cannot have a running linux to run lilo ?

    BTW, there is no such thing as GRUB for windows. It is only a GRUB installer for window

  6. #56
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    23
    [quote="audioaficionado"]
    Quote Originally Posted by jduff
    1.) Partition with qtparted
    2.) Install Knoppix but leave out that lilo thing
    3.) Install GAG
    4.) Drink beer
    how do you install Knoppix without the lilo thing?
    in the knoppix-install there IS NO way to install without the lilo thing

  7. #57
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    23

    Re: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by bubazoo
    I think all of you are crazy. You don't need gag, or grub for windows, (although I'd rather use grub for LInux) but anyways, LILO works just fine...
    Hear-ye, Hear-ye, I'll second that motion!

    Regards,
    yeah.. didn't you guys know LILO is being phased out?
    they don't make it anymoore.. there was a big debate about this on the Debian newsgroups, you guys didn't hear about that????
    I am suprised completely.. LILO is history. was in all the newsgroups guys. like I said, knoppix should come with grub instead of lilo

    right now I'm experimenting how to pass the right kernel parameters to a knoppix partition to make it boot with grub. right now its only working with redhat and can't figure out why its not working with a knoppix install.

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    Is there any way to install knoppix without a floppy drive? I have a burner, but would rather not waste a cd on a 1.4 meg file...

  9. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    1

    hdd install fun

    It took several tries but it worked... the instructions in German didn't help a bit since I "no sprachten se Deutch. "

    So now that I have it installed tell me, someone, how do I get it to speak English to me? As root it is in English. When I use adduser and log in as myself (design1) the Koppix logo - as opposed to Debian - appears but it talks to me in German and even though I change the icon on the task bar to US it is still German.

    Another question: how do I see my WIN 2000 (FAT32) drive. It was automatic in Knoppix from the CD. Seeems as though some of the groovy stuff I really liked aobut the CD version is missing or is it that I just haven't found some of it yet.

    Jack

  10. #60
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Re: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

    The expected system config you state is exactly what I am using . . . XP on C:, and D empty.

    I followed your suggestions/instructions to the letter. Everything went smoothly and turned out as you stated.

    My C: is hda1 under Knoppix, which I understand. D: under Knoppix is hdc1, which I don't understand.

    C:/hda1 is the primary hdd and has a dvd drive as a slave. D:/hdc1 is the master on the secondary IDE connector, with a CD-R/RW as a slave.

    I appreciate the instructions/suggestions and your efforts. Well done!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Ok, I just confirmed that this procedure works. Tried it on TWO PC's. One XP, the other 2000.

    This procedure will install a 'true' dual-boot of Knoppix. Not poor-man's install, REAL dual-boot. Plus, with the help of some free tools, you can do it without damage to your data.... Here it goes...

    (Expected System Configuration, modify if needed): 2 physical Hard disks. C:\ drive is NTFS with Win NT/2k/XP installed. D:\ drive is empty.


    (1) MOST IMPORTANT: Make backups of all your important data. Imagine that all your data is gone. Think about what you need to backup. Although this procedure shouldn't cause any data loss, when you're doing something of this magnitude (messing with partitions and installing new OS), you should backup. Not to mention that you should REGULARLY backup!!

    (2) Create an 'ERD' (Emergency Repair Disk). This can restore your MBR in case you really goof! The process depends on your OS:
    (2a) Windows NT 4: Run 'RDISK.exe'.
    (2b) Win 2000 and XP: Start the Windows Backup tool, then choose 'Emergency Repair Disk'. XP/2k users have the Recovery Console and FIXMBR, plus XP users have a 'repair install' mode, so an ERD isn't too necessary for them.

    (3) Boot the Knoppix CD.

    (4) Start a Terminal session.

    (5) Type in sudo knx-hdinstall (yes, use this older install script. From my experience, it's more stable/reliable.)

    (6) Next, partition your /dev/hdb. I'm no Linux partition expert, so I just make a 300MB swap partition and use the remaining space for a Linux partition.

    (7) The steps from here to after files copy should be self-explanatory.

    ( Once you get to the prompt 'Install LILO into MBR?', make sure you answer NO. Failure to do so could mean that your Windows boot partition will be removed, and you'll have to use your ERB/ Recovery Console.

    (9) When prompted to make a boot floppy, make sure you make a boot floppy!. It's REQUIRED in a later step.

    (10) Once Knoppix setup is done, remove the floppy and reboot. Make sure Windows still works. After doing so, pat yourself on the back... the hardest part is over!!

    (11) Next, start up your computer from the boot floppy. It should load the copy of Knoppix that you just installed. If this works, then pat yourself on the back again! You're almost done!

    (12) Once Knoppix is running, get to a console/terminal again. Make sure your boot floppy is still inserted!

    (13) Issue the command dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1. This will copy the Linux bootsector to a file. Replace hdx# with your installation partition (like hdb2)

    (14) Now, insert a blank floppy into your floppy drive. Issue the command mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0. This will format the floppy to a Windows/FAT12 filesystem.

    (15) Issue mount /dev/fd0

    (16) Now, copy that bootsector image! cp /bootsect.knx /floppy

    (17) Take the floppy out. Reboot into Windows.

    (1 Copy your bootsect.knx into C:\.

    (19) Start a MS-DOS prompt. Type in the following: (each newline = new command)

    c:
    cd \
    attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
    copy boot.ini boot.old
    notepad boot.ini


    (20) Notepad will start, with Boot.ini loaded. Edit the first line, 'Timeout=30'. Change it to 'Timeout=5'. This changes your boot selection timeout to 5 seconds, instead of 30.

    (21) At the very end of the file, add C:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix"

    (22) Save the file. Get back to that command prompt. Issue attrib +h +r +s boot.ini.

    (23) Reboot. Now, you should have two options: your previous Windows OS and Knoppix. Done!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Indepth dual boot, 2hd's, windows(1) knoppix(2) help
    By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
  2. Windows 98 and Knoppix(debian) Dual-Boot
    By ishtvan22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
  3. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
  4. Using Windows 2000 boot manager?
    By Termina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
  5. HOWTO: Poor Man's Dual Boot PC!
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99