View Poll Results: Did this procedure work for you?
- Voters
- 42. You may not vote on this poll
-
dual boot, without messing with the mbr
Hello,
Don't know if this helps, but here goes.
I think you gave up on GAG a little too soon, because it offers solutions for many of your problems

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
Oh well, I don't see the benefit of using gag over lilo as both are installed to the mbr, right?
Not necessarily. GAG kan be installed onto floppy, not touching the mbr of any of your harddisks at all.
If you would do that, then win xp (or win nt, or whatever os is installed on that first harddisk partition) would automatically start as if there is no linux on the machine at all, as long as you don't use the GAG floppy at start up.
To boot into linux, you boot from floppy, choose the appropriate key, and off you go.
There's really nothing to it, not difficult to install at all. I must admit I skipped most of the docs, as all I could possibly mess up was a floppy, but it worked flawlessly the first time I tried.
After creating the floppy (see the readme with the downloaded file after unzipping for how to do that), just boot from that floppy, tell GAG in just a few steps where and what your os's are (read the "in program help" for how to configure, but there's really nothing to it, save changes to floppy (the same one), and off you go. You'll be all set in under 5 minutes.
Just repeat with another floppy to be on the safe side and have a reserve (although you can always make such a reserve later from within windows as well, if you keep the downloaded GAG files (another safety risk)
Now booting from that same floppy will offer you the choices you defined.
Yes, the big bad Klingons from the tech dept don't want me fiddling with the XP partition....
And as may be clear now, when using GAG from a floppy you won't touch the mbr of your windows partition at all.
Anyway, I used knoppix-installer and installed the knoppix (not debian) server as I couldn't print from debian (remember the whales?) with lilo in the mbr. Now I can use my printers but I don't get a login screen. Is there a way to get a login screen for the users I create on this server? If not, what about security? This knoppix server boots to a knoppix user that can mount/unmount drives, make them ro/rw, delete them.... This is not very secure, is it?
No it's not. If Linux will be accessed by different users you definitely need to setup different users, with rights according to capabilities/competence.
But setting up new users in knoppix without "root" rights isn't hard at all.
I'm sorry, I have no idea why you lost the logonscreen, and why there would be a connection with printer services.
Also, in lilo.conf, how do I change the boot order? On the server, I want to boot to linux, but on the user's PCs I need to boot to XP by default.
TIA,
When using GAG from floppy, you don't need to. And you can set the default delay in lilo to zero if you want. (just make sure you install lilo in the bootsector of the partition where you installed linux).
Windows will be started automatically when not using a floppy, as there is nothing in the mbr to point to anything else.
You can even prevent unauthorized use of a GAG floppy, you can give each os in the GAG menu a separate password.
Windows cannot read linux formatted partitions anyway, so your linux configuration is protected against tampering from within windows anyway.
The only remaining danger would be someone fiddling around with a tool like Partion Magic ("ban" such software, or password protect as well)
Last hint, read the readme file in the [src] directory of the downloaded GAG files (all you really need is the info on how to make the initial floppy), other readme's are a little garbled. Don't get upset by the language quality, the software is excellent 
So, if you can overcome the feeling of "being thrown back to the computer dark ages" by having to use a floppy (it starts up in just a few seconds, and after making your choice from the menu leads you on in less then a second) then GAG can probably solve some of your questions.
kind regards,
Paul V
Similar Threads
-
By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By ishtvan22 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM
-
By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By Termina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 18
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99