Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: depmod - Warnings after installing ALSA

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8

    depmod - Warnings after installing ALSA

    Since I've installed ALSA I get these warnings at startup:
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/build
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/kernel
    depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep is not an ELF file
    depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.generic_string is not an ELF file
    depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.ieee1394map is not an ELF file
    depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.isapnpmap is not an ELF file
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/modules.parportmap
    depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.pcimap is not an ELF file
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/modules.pnpbiosmap
    depmod: /lib/modules/extra/modules.usbmap is not an ELF file
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/net
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/pcmcia
    depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/extra/usb
    What's that and what's my fault?


    Another question: Basically, the Soundsystem works perfectly, but I have no sound in Windows-Applications running via wine. What can I do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    How did you install it? ALSA comes with 3.2. All you have to do (as root) is

    /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig

    and that's it!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8
    I installed Knoppix with ALSA support exactly like it's shown here, in the last posting and of course I've run alsa-autoconfig. Nevertheless there are these warnings, and I've no idea why.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'm still puzzled as to why all that should be necessary, but when I built my alsa drivers from source (this was back with Knoppix 3.1, no ALSA with that build ) I found --- and it took some finding -- some very good documentation for my driver.

    http://www.alsa-project.org/documentation.php3

    is a good place to start.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by netromancer
    I installed Knoppix with ALSA support exactly like it's shown here, in the last posting and of course I've run alsa-autoconfig. Nevertheless there are these warnings, and I've no idea why.
    They happened to me every time I updated the modules in Knoppix I just ignore them everything seemed to work fine. My guess is that they are left over from Klaus building the image.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8
    Ok, so apparently it's not my fault. I will have a look at the documentation anyway, perhaps it helps.
    BTW, I still have no sound with wine, any idea why?

Similar Threads

  1. warnings during HD install
    By FatherBob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 12:40 AM
  2. Lilo warnings about device-mapper
    By brodders in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 01:58 AM
  3. Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
    By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
  4. problems with alsa alsa-autoconfig doesn't seem to work
    By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
  5. depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22-openmo
    By raduen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$189.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$365.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00