-
Boot/Screen Size
Purchased 3.2 from almostfreelinux.com and the only way I can get it to boot is by using knoppix xmodule=fbdev. When I do this I get a vertical screen size of about 50%. Adding vga=normal increases the screen size properly but will not allow a complete boot (no suitable x-server for card).
SIS 650/651, NEC MultiSync 2A.
Suggestions?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Boot/Screen Size

Originally Posted by
skimball3
Purchased 3.2 from almostfreelinux.com and the only way I can get it to boot is by using knoppix xmodule=fbdev. When I do this I get a vertical screen size of about 50%. Adding vga=normal increases the screen size properly but will not allow a complete boot (no suitable x-server for card).
SIS 650/651, NEC MultiSync 2A.
Suggestions?
According to the TLDP Video How-TO every listed SiS card use the XF86_SVGA server and module sis so try the cheat codes xserver=XF86_SVGA and xmodule=sis and see if that works your card does not seem to be listed but it's worth a try anyways.
-
We'll try that. Thanx for the help
-
Tried every combination I could without success. Any cheat that results in a full size screen has an unreadable screen(looks like horizontal sync problems). I finish up with "starting X11", "retrying with server XFree86(vesa)", and "retrying with server XFree86(fbdev)". "No suitable x-server found". Is your suggestion of xserver=XF86_svga the same as XFree86?
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
skimball3
Tried every combination I could without success. Any cheat that results in a full size screen has an unreadable screen(looks like horizontal sync problems). I finish up with "starting X11", "retrying with server XFree86(vesa)", and "retrying with server XFree86(fbdev)". "No suitable x-server found". Is your suggestion of xserver=XF86_svga the same as XFree86?
Steve
No they are different servers. Have you tried using the CTRL and ATL keys at the same time and then using the keypad + and - keys to try switching through the available screens and resolutions on the fly to see if you can get a suitable screen when you get the unreadable full screens? Also have you tried the xvrefresh=60 cheat code when booting as well?
-
Senior Member
registered user
A freind of mine had a similar issue running on his card, which used the tseng driver and had to use XF86_SVGA xserver. What he does is open a vncserver and vncviewer and then he's able to read the fonts in the VNC window.
-
Have tried cntrl/alt/+,_ without success. I can see no difference in the screen. If the excercise must be accomplished at a specific time in the cycle, I may not have done that. I tried requesting different screen sizes (ie 640x480 to 1280x1024) but no luck.Will cetainly try xvrefresh.
Unfortunately I am a newbie and do not know about vncserver and viewer. Can you help?
Steve Kimball
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-23-2005, 01:25 AM
-
By harken in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 03:23 AM
-
By chris-harry in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-09-2004, 03:28 AM
-
By Jefff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 06:17 PM
-
By CHINAMAN in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99