Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: knoppix create system recovery CDs?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4

    knoppix create system recovery CDs?

    I'm not sure if this is possible now, but can you use knoppix to burn a series of CDs to aid in system recovery? The first CD burned would be made bootable and you would keep feeding it CD's until everything on your hard drive was backed up. To restore, boot off of the initial Cd and load in the recovery CDs in sequence. Would this work with part-image and be OS - neutral?

    Doug

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: knoppix create system recovery CDs?

    Quote Originally Posted by dnewcomb
    I'm not sure if this is possible now, but can you use knoppix to burn a series of CDs to aid in system recovery? The first CD burned would be made bootable and you would keep feeding it CD's until everything on your hard drive was backed up. To restore, boot off of the initial Cd and load in the recovery CDs in sequence. Would this work with part-image and be OS - neutral?

    Doug
    This one of the main ideas behind knoppix already from the FAQ General.

    Code:
    Q: What exactly is Knoppix?
    
    
    A: KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4
    Stephen,
    I guess I was not clear in my previous post. I'm looking for the functionality of Mondo Rescue ( http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/ ) under Knoppix to create a restore set of CDs.
    I was under the impression that partimage would not span a series of CDs.

    Doug

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79
    good stuf!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by dnewcomb
    Stephen,
    I guess I was not clear in my previous post. I'm looking for the functionality of Mondo Rescue ( http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/ ) under Knoppix to create a restore set of CDs.
    I was under the impression that partimage would not span a series of CDs.

    Doug
    Doug,

    Mondo is on the CD so you should be able to go ahead with your idea. I'm not sure about the CD spanning limitation of partimage - you'd have to check their website.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the tip! I found it and will be giving it a workout.

    Doug :D

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Mondo is on the CD so you should be able to go ahead with your idea. I'm not sure about the CD spanning limitation of partimage - you'd have to check their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnewcomb
    Thanks for the tip! I found it and will be giving it a workout.
    Has anyone had any success using Mondo in Knoppix? When I've tried it, mondoarchive aborts with the message "I think I'm running from a ramdrive, please don't run mondoarchive".

    I'm running a dual-boot portable (of course, only one CD drive) and would love to be able to create a backup image on a regular basis.

    I attempted to find a solution on the Mondo forums and mailing list. Apparently there is an easy solution, if you're a programmer. Conversations over there indicate that, by removing two lines of code and re-compiling, the abort can be bypassed. For us mere mortals, this option isn't available as Hugo (Mondo's author) will not allow any further detail to be posted on this topic.

    In addition, Mondo's authors have a hacked version of partimage that will allow NTFS partitions to be compressed.

    Klaus, would you consider including a modified-to-run-from-ramdrive version of Mondo 1.7x (with their partimagehack) on your next release? With the 'toram' option, we could then eject the CD and image /dev/hda to CDR.

    Regards,
    SideWynder

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4
    The mondoarchive software disables itself when running from a ramdrive. From what I understand, the authors have no wish to be sued for aiding in copyright violations. You can alter the source code to work around the limitation, which would involve making a custom version of Knoppix.

    dnewcomb

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix to create my own system?
    By Ryan450 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
  3. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
  4. System recovery with Knoppix
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
  5. lilo Fatal:create Read-only file system dual boot
    By willowwillow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server E5-2698 V4 | No RAM | 2x 1600W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server E5-2698 V4 | No RAM | 2x 1600W PSU

$414.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99