Forget it, found out I have to:
"As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).
then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.
This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based."
Sorry about asking first and searching later.![]()
Hello all,
Just a quick question: When I install knoppix to my hdd I seem to lose one of the coolest parts of the GUI boot which was the automatic detection of partitions which in turn put an icon for each partition on my kde screen. How do I get this functionality back?
Thanks![]()
Forget it, found out I have to:
"As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).
then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.
This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based."
Sorry about asking first and searching later.![]()
NP. The new installer actually takes care of this problem. Just make sure you use knoppix-installer and not knx-hdinstall.Originally Posted by ferreter
That worked for me also.
I am getting this message when I try my cdrom:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. "
Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.
Any Ideas???
Thanks
Check your /etc/fstab. Sounds like there is the mount point for your cdrom is not /mnt/cdrom but something else - possibly /cdrom.Originally Posted by FelixDzerzhinsky
I solved this by running K3b Setup (K-menu -> System). This will create the entries in /etc/fstab. You can then create the icons on the desktop.Originally Posted by FelixDzerzhinsky
HTH
- - Edwin
Assuming you cdrom is the first device in the /etc/fstab.Originally Posted by FelixDzerzhinsky
You will have to make the mount point /burner as root in the / directory (mkdir burner) for this to work. If the burner is the first device then change the order to suit. After you modify the fstab you just have to right click on the desktop and create an icon for the burner.Code:/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0 /dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
You mentioned how to get a cd burner going, well my HD install seems to have all the entries in fstab (as cdrom1) by default. But again no desktop icon or easy way to access it. Funny the knx boot CD detects it just fine.
fstab:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
If the mount point /cdrom1 and /dev/cdrom1 actually exits on the system then right click on the desktop and choose Create New -> CD/DVD Device when the dialog comes up select the proper device in the device tab then select OK to create the icon.Originally Posted by ferreter
Note: If the /dev/cdrom1 and /cdrom1 do not exist then you should use the scd1 line from my post above and create a mount point for it.
Thanks, I'll look into that when I get home then![]()

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button)
$49.95
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$100.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac
$35.00
VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67