-
Adding custom kernel to Knoppix; no lilo menu
Hi
I am adding a custom kernel to the hard drive install of Knoppix 3.2. I have compiled the kernel, modified the lilo.conf file and ran /sbin/lilo without any errors but at boot time I do not see a lilo menu showing up but instead the system still boots the stock kernel.
Am I missing anything here?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Let's see your lilo.conf. Is your new kernel in /boot? What's it called? Did you set a delay in LILO so that you have a moment to choose which kernel you wish to boot?
What was the ouput of /sbin/lilo?
It is possible to have several kernels to choose from (I do it all the time).
-
I, quite stupidly, left my linux hard drive at home therefore will be able to reply more intelligently either tonight or tomorrow.
Thank you for your help.
-
The new kernel is in /boot by the name bzImage.custom. In lilo.conf the delay is set at 50 (5 seconds).
Here is the output of lilo:
Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
Added Custom
which looks like a clean output.
I have had upto 5 custom kernel in other distributions in the lilo.conf succuessfully so this is not something new I am trying.
Today, I accidently hit the Shift key when the system was booting up. It was displaying "LILO 22.5.4" basically just waiting for the 5 seconds to expire... and voilla heres the lilo menu. I tried this a second time and it worked again.
Any more thoughts?
Similar Threads
-
By zroiy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 02:56 AM
-
By lo Spocchioso in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-07-2003, 11:31 AM
-
By hairston4 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:28 AM
-
By jtally in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 05:15 PM
-
By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-17-2003, 01:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)
$32.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256
$22.89

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$75.99