Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: pon and poff as non-root user

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    pon and poff as non-root user

    I like pon and poff rather than kppp.

    I used to be able to run pon and poff as root and knoppix.

    Now, I want to get rid of knoppix, so I created a new user, duplicated every mention of knoppix (with the name of my new user) in /etc/group and /etc/group.org and find that I can no longer pon or poff as anyone other than root. Ideas welcomed!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100
    Is that a problem?I know this is not the answer your looking for and hope someone tells you how to run as a user but I use nothing but pon to dial my isp and have always done it as root.I just open an xterm and su then pon myisp then I can close that term and it wont kill my connection.Is it a security problem/risk to run pon as root?I am just curious.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It's not a security problem, but to my mind it's simply an inefficient way of doing things. I usually have a couple of icons on my desktop (one for pon and one for poff) which I just click. It mirrors my favourite connection tool, kinternet (which is proprietary SuSE and which they've now messed up).

    If I wanted an "ordinary" way of doing it I'd use Kppp (may yet have to!) but I've never liked it.

    On a philosophical note, why isn't /etc/group behaving as expected? Is there some special Debian magic I'm supposed to do?

    And (even more irritating) why do I have to keep doing (as root)

    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi

    to get sound every time I reboot? It's (almost) enough to drive me back to SuSE.........

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93
    I've had a similar problem with pppoe. In the end I've made my users (my girlfreind and I) sudo; made sure that both users were in groups dip and dialout (adduser username dip) and I've configured pppoe so it comes up on boot. Works for me until I find something better.

    On a home system it should be ok. I wouldn't want users on a company network with sudo however.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixDzerzhinsky
    On a home system it should be ok. I wouldn't want users on a company network with sudo however.
    You can just restrict the user to certain commands with sudo you do not have to give them sudo for every command with the ALL option just use the path to the command and the NOPASSWD option IIRC don't have it installed so I can't check the man page.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Thanks all: I'll give that (those) a try. I'm about ready to re-name /home and mount my other partition as home, so fingers crossed. If that works, I should (more or less) be able to mess up and re-install at will.

    My guess (any ideas what?) is that

    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi

    is being reset by something: after all, a chmod should remain chmoded, shouldn't it?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
    I've had some problems with my cdrom and cdrw being setup in the wrong order during bootup, so what I did was put a couple of line of code in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh to fix that minor problem, you could do the same by placing your chmod line at the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:

    #
    # bootmisc.sh Miscellaneous things to be done during bootup.
    #
    # Version: @(#)bootmisc.sh 2.83 02-Oct-2001 [email protected]
    #
    ...
    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi

    HTH

    ~rock

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Nice idea, Rock, I'll do that.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Ah, popping

    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
    doesn't work.

    I'll have a look at the other init scripts and see if any likely candidates pop up.

Similar Threads

  1. How to change user to root
    By Wavform in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 03:44 AM
  2. How do i log in as root user?
    By spacedude89 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
  3. Root User
    By NewGuy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 02:59 AM
  4. Cannot log into user account..only root
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
  5. help with root user
    By zuzo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95