Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: ACPI it's not just for laptops.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Don't mean to take over this thread, but I've downloaded and installed kernel 2.4.21-acpi.zip.

    I installed it but when I use uname -a or uname -r, it still shows the older version.

    I've never done this before, and I'm not sure where to start to troubleshoot this.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Sounds like you just need to get LILO set up correctly. Post it please.

    Don't mean to take over this thread, but I've downloaded and installed kernel 2.4.21-acpi.zip.
    Nah- that's what this post is about- acpi.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Thanks for your help, and thank goodness for IRC.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    The installation worked very well here with kernel 2.4.21-xfs, but now I cannot use my AES encrypted file via loopback anymore. When trying to mount, I get an "ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Das Argument ist ungültig".

    Does anyone know a solution?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    From the README from loop-AES-v1.7

    You have to have a kernel version specific loop.o module in /boot for each kernel you intend to use.
    Sorry I can't really be of much help here tho as I don't use encrypted filesystems. Looks to me as thoiugh you just need to build a new loop.o to match your new kernel.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    First of all, thanks so much for your post!

    That is what I call support

    Anyway, before I start pestering any of you with my problems, I have to say that I use a Samsung X10 Centrino laptop, for which ACPI instructions were provided here:

    http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml

    Since you provide instructions for an existing kernel:
    what should I do, follow your directions or the ones provided in the page above?.

    How do I apply a patch to a kernel, just in case you advise me to do that?.

    Regards,

    Arthur

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur
    How do I apply a patch to a kernel, just in case you advise me to do that?
    I guess you have found out by now, but anyways. Invoke the following command in the dir you want to patch:
    patch -p0 < foobar.patch

    You will need to enter -p1 for 2.6 kernels

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    Hello,
    I found this forum very helpful, however I'm having difficulty with your instructions. I followed everything up to

    uname -r

    and it says 2.4.21-acpi.
    I looked at the acpi.log file, and everything's fine.
    However, when I input:

    apt-get install acpid

    I get the response

    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package acpid

    I tried the acpi -V command and that doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for helping me out.

    Strangely enough I have battery function up and running, but I have no sound. I'm running Knoppix 3.3 on a Toshiba 5005-s504

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsai256
    However, when I input:

    apt-get install acpid

    I get the response

    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package acpid

    I tried the acpi -V command and that doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for helping me out.
    If the acpid (acpi daemon) package can't be found then perhaps your /etc/apt/sources.list needs to be updated? You can always just go get it from debain.org and install it with dpkg or mc. You did do apt-get update right? Note that acpid is not the same thing as acpi.

    It isn't absolutely essential that you have acpi installed either. It's just an easier way to look at the info in /proc/acpi. It has no bering on the functionality of the acpi patched kernel. Until you install it tho- acpi -V certainly won't work.

    Strangely enough I have battery function up and running, but I have no sound. I'm running Knoppix 3.3 on a Toshiba 5005-s504
    What kind of soundcard? lspci Alot of Toshibas use Yamaha cards that are SB compatible. Have you set up alsa?

    /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig

    What does lsmod tell you? On my Toshiba I was able to get the ASLA drivers to work. But I installed the latest ALSA drivers and compiled them myself. It's very easy to do. The card is a Yamaha OPL3SA2. I found it very handy to also install alsaconfig. It will help you set all the I/O addresses, IRQ, DMA, etc.
    Have a look in your BIOS and see what is available for settings regarding the soundcard.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14

    acpi for knoppx 3.3 2003-11-14 ?

    Hi,

    will you update your greate way to silence the fans to 2003-11-14 version of knoppix?
    The fan of my notebook really drives me crazy.

    Thanks,
    JanMartin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. List of Successful Laptops
    By mfer in forum Laptops
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
  2. ACPI:BIOS age (2001) Fails cut off (2002) acpi=force
    By OP4Latino in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
  3. [ACPI] what acpi kernel support in Knoppix ?
    By Longfield in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
  4. Minimum Requirements for Laptops
    By pstroka_taran in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 06:42 AM
  5. What Laptops run Knoppix?
    By mithrill in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)

$100.00