Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: kde: broken due to unsatisfied dependencies

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    kde: broken due to unsatisfied dependencies

    I just installed Knoppix (v3.2 7/26/03, I think) on a desktop (fresh install, haven't changed my sources list or anything), and I'm having problems upgrading my packages.

    For some reason, when I go to upgrade in Aptitude, Knoppix wants to uninstall KDE and a number of KDE-related packages due to unsatified dependencies. I've installed Knoppix and Debian on several computers, but I've never seen this before. Has anyone had this problem before, and is there any way to fix it?

    Oh, when I apt-get upgrade, all the same packages that Aptitude wants to remove are held back and are not upgraded.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: kde: broken due to unsatisfied dependencies

    --You're not trying to do a dist-upgrade, are you?

    --What happens when you do ' apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade '?

    Quote Originally Posted by publius
    I just installed Knoppix (v3.2 7/26/03, I think) on a desktop (fresh install, haven't changed my sources list or anything), and I'm having problems upgrading my packages.

    For some reason, when I go to upgrade in Aptitude, Knoppix wants to uninstall KDE and a number of KDE-related packages due to unsatified dependencies. I've installed Knoppix and Debian on several computers, but I've never seen this before. Has anyone had this problem before, and is there any way to fix it?

    Oh, when I apt-get upgrade, all the same packages that Aptitude wants to remove are held back and are not upgraded.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    Here's a little follow up:
    I fixed the problem by manually apt-get installing all the packages that Aptitude was threatening to remove. Everything seems to be ok now.

    BTW, I wasn't doing a dist-upgrade in apt, but Aptitude's default upgrade behavior may to dist-upgrade (I wouldn't know). If I had done 'apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade', I imagine I would have seen a list of packages to be updated along with all the packages that Apt was holding back (the same packages Aptitude wanted to remove).

    If this is a bug or an undocumented feature, it's kinda bad because it will freak out unsuspecting ppl when they use Aptitude or do a dist-upgrade in Apt and find they don't have KDE anymore. I am still interested to know exactly what happened, so I'll be looking for follow-ups on this matter.

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get tab-autocompletion and dependencies broken <help
    By monkymind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
  2. "Unmet dependencies" - apt-get broken
    By Boolean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
  3. broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 06:45 AM
  4. needed help for programs dependencies, thanks
    By hittozu in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:48 AM
  5. apt-get Dependencies for kdevelop xlibs-pic
    By code-pupil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105E 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch Built for Business picture

NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105E 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch Built for Business

$11.00



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99