Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: starting linuxrc and init

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1

    starting linuxrc and init

    Hi Folks,
    I try to build my own Knoppix based CD. For this I try to build my own initrd.
    Ok my first problem was that the kernel didn't start my linuxrc. I found the reason. If the
    root-Filesystem (root= parameter from syslinux) is the same as ram0 (in my case the initrd-fs) the kernel didn't execute linuxrc and step over to execute init.
    (this is in do_mounts.c in function "void prepare_namespace(void)" - Linux 2.4.20)

    Ok.. I that this is no problem. I will pass no root boot option (or a wrong) and I'll set this in linuxrc but... in this case the kernel stops because he couldn't load modules and other messages (depending with root-option you give)

    My question: Do you know how knoppix handle this issue?

    Thanks,
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    You are probally best to start off by remastering before trying to build one from scratch.
    see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto

    also you may be interested to see how to replace the kernel :
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...tomKernelHowto

  3. #3
    Guest
    Hi eadz,

    thx for posting a reply. I read the both Webpages, but they didn't cover my questions.

    It would be cool if someone has an idea how to solve this prob.


    Thanks,
    Thomas

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196

    Re: starting linuxrc and init

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas
    Hi Folks,
    I try to build my own Knoppix based CD. For this I try to build my own initrd.
    Ok my first problem was that the kernel didn't start my linuxrc. I found the reason. If the
    root-Filesystem (root= parameter from syslinux) is the same as ram0 (in my case the initrd-fs) the kernel didn't execute linuxrc and step over to execute init.
    (this is in do_mounts.c in function "void prepare_namespace(void)" - Linux 2.4.20)

    Ok.. I that this is no problem. I will pass no root boot option (or a wrong) and I'll set this in linuxrc but... in this case the kernel stops because he couldn't load modules and other messages (depending with root-option you give)
    Okay, i'll give it a shot. If i understand correctly, you are trying to boot your initrd filesystem with the root= option. However, to load a filesystem into ram to boot with (as root), you need the initrd= kerneloption instead. Then, linuxrc should be executed like usual.

    Hope this helps,

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  4. linuxrc changes
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 01:15 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01