Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Error: only one processor found

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizone
    Posts
    3

    Error: only one processor found

    I get this message when I boot with anything other than failsafe. I've tried all the relevant cheatcodes - noeverything for hardware ect. Can anyone tell me what it is complaining about?

    I have a P4 system on a Soyo Dragon motherboard, 512M ram, Turtlebeach sound card and a bunch of IDE drives with NTFS filesystems.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Have you tried the cheatcode ' nosmp' ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizone
    Posts
    3
    I'm pretty sure I have (I'm at work now) if it's listed on the cheatsheat. I'll try it again anyway when I giet back.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizone
    Posts
    3
    nosmp worked! It makes sense, but it wasn't on the cheatsheat I had printed for reference. I am much puzzled as to why Knoppix would have thought there should have been multiple processors present in the first place, but I can certainly live with this.

    Thanks Ediwn!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Delft, the Netherlands
    Posts
    76
    Well, sometimes software just does not make sense. I got the same error on a P4 system, ignored it, but the CD booted and everything worked. After doing the HD-install the message disapeared. Later I learned about this cheatcode. But booting the same CD on a Celeron 700 Mz produced no such error and worked perfectly also.

    Go figure,

    - - Edwin

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11
    This is because you must have a reasonably new P4 system that has Intel's Hyperthreading functions on it. This hardware feature causes the single CPU to function as if it is a dual processor machine (symetrical multiple processor) and if the software both OS and Apps support it they work faster. This is only on P4s with 800Mhz FSB or P4 with FSB of 533Mhz over 3.0Ghz, that is why the celeron does not show the same problem.

    Regards
    Pete

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelman
    This is because you must have a reasonably new P4 system that has Intel's Hyperthreading functions on it. This hardware feature causes the single CPU to function as if it is a dual processor machine (symetrical multiple processor) and if the software both OS and Apps support it they work faster. This is only on P4s with 800Mhz FSB or P4 with FSB of 533Mhz over 3.0Ghz, that is why the celeron does not show the same problem.

    Regards
    Pete
    I just got this error on a Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro with Athlon XP 2000+.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    1
    same for me. AMD 1800+ on a K7S5A motherboard.
    I also have the problem that the system insists on installing scsi for
    accessing the cd-rom and then loses contact with that cdrom.
    But I'll try the nosmp code as well as the noscsi cheat codes.
    ------------------------
    it's just a few minutes later. Now we're talking Linux.

    Works like a charm, even the usb mouse does work now.

    boot: knoppix nosmp noscsi

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I used to tried nosmp, but then my internet access went away...

    I just ignore this error and have no problems!

    Regards,

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I just ignore this error and have no problems!
    Me too! Athlon 2000 Come to think of it, I got the same error on a 333 Cyrix.

Similar Threads

  1. Error: No Suitable X-Server found
    By jefwic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
  2. Boot error - one processor found, sorted that but...
    By kezzar in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 08:47 PM
  3. Error: Only one processor found
    By Aelthric in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 05:29 PM
  4. error:only one procssor found
    By frankino in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 10:18 PM
  5. Error: only one processor found !?!
    By sepht in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 11:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67