Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Orinoco + Knoppix help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1

    Orinoco + Knoppix help

    I need a little help with my Knoppix set up. I'm running v3.2 on a Dell Inspiron 3500 and an Orinoco Gold 802.11b card. There is no onboard NIC the wifi card is the only network card.

    I keep reading how this card should work perfect with Knoppix, but I'm having some problems. When I type "iwpriv etho" to try and put the card in monitor mode I get the message "eth0 no private ioctls". Does anyone know what this means? Is there anything special I need to do to configure the card? I've done some searching and none of the solutions I found worked. Any help would be appreciated.

    I would eventually like to get Kismet working too.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    8
    I spent a couple of hours Orinoco fiddling with Orinoco Gold as well but couldn't get anywhere. I also have a LinkSys WPC11 (won't recommend it to anyone though) and I thought I would give it a try. After like 20 minutes I got the LinkSys to work with 128-bit encryption and both with SMC and Belkin routers. An lsmod showed it to be loaded as an Orinoco though even though its a Prism I chipset.

    Here is what I used:

    Code:
    ifconfig $1 up
    iwconfig $1 essid "home"
    iwconfig $1 mode managed
    iwconfig $1 enc restricted xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    I made a small script file and supplied either eth0 or eth1 as my network interface number (whichever corresponds to your wireless network card). Of course, you will need root privileges to run these commands.

    After this you can use ifconfig and iwconfig to check the connection, also try pinging some known IP address.

    I hope this helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 01:52 AM
  2. changing MAC on knoppix 3.4 orinoco
    By bil_912 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 04:43 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 09:19 PM
  4. Orinoco Gold B/G card and knoppix
    By xenoxaos in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. Carmgr locks when booting Knoppix 3.3 and Orinoco
    By grandb in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 08:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Juniper EX4650 Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper EX4650 Ethernet Switch

$35200.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper QFX5210-64C Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper QFX5210-64C Ethernet Switch

$50014.99



Juniper EX4100-48T-AFI Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper EX4100-48T-AFI Ethernet Switch

$8034.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX4100-24P Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper EX4100-24P Ethernet Switch

$6983.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00