Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: USB Drives for Persistent Home: Recommendations?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53

    USB Drives for Persistent Home: Recommendations?

    I've been thinking about getting a little USB "keychain" drive to carry files to school and, of course, to use as a Persistent Home location for Knoppix. I searched Google for information about these, but there was a lot more noise than signal. Can anyone recommend sites that introduce the various options and rate what's available in each category? Do you have recommendations of your own?

    If I take the plunge I'll be replacing a Zip disk. How much faster and more satisfying would a USB drive be?

    Unamiccia

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    N. CA
    Posts
    1
    The USB devices made by PNY work great.

    The packageing even says support for the Linux 2.4 kernel or higher.

    I bought one and use as a Persistent home device.
    Works perfectly.

    Good Luck,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    yeah, look for the drive to say it supports linux. I'm using a 64mb AVB pen drive.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1
    How can I make mu USB flash drive my permanent home on 3.2 version?
    It is explained for 3.1 but not for 3.2
    Anybody would give me advice, please.
    My USB drive is recognised as sdb1 and I can write to it using:
    # mount -o remount, rw /mnt/sdb1
    but I do not know how to make it a permanent home.
    Please send me a e-mail:
    [email protected]
    Thank you for your help.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    > How can I make mu USB flash drive my permanent home on 3.2 version?

    Click on the "Start" menu, oops, I mean the "K" icon at the lower left, and select the KNOPPIX item, then Configure should lead you to a menu that allows you to make a permanent home directory. Apparently you can either use an ext2 partition or use (a container file within (?)) a FAT partition — the program will ask you which partition and format you want. I tried to use a FAT partition last night and got an error and gave up. Possibly because it was a FAT16 partition and shoulda been FAT32. Or maybe the partition was poorly located or sized. Or whatever; it was very late and my memory is fuzzy.

    Tip: if you have a bunch of disks and Windows(tm) partitions, you might consider creating a directory in each partition to indicate the letter you use for that drive. E.g., for drive F, I create a directory "0-DRIVE-F" so that if I click on that device from KNOPPIX I can see it's my drive F. There's nothing in the directory, btw, but I use a directory since they get listed first. The leading 0 ensures the directory name is at or near the top of the list of files.

Similar Threads

  1. My persistent home isn't persisting
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 01:09 AM
  2. 3.8 persistent home directory
    By ddrex in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
  3. Persistent home and NTFS
    By mattperkins26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
  4. persistent home & permissions
    By jeremy2300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$246.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99